Culture > News

Frequently Asked Questions about the California Recall Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Q: When is the recall election?

A: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 

Q: How do I know if I can vote in this election?

A: If you are registered to vote in California, you can vote in this election. Check your voter registration status here

Q: How do I vote in this election? 

A: You can either vote in person or through a mail-in ballot. Mail-in ballots must be turned in on or before election day to be counted. Find your nearest mail-in ballot drop-off in Santa Clara County here. On September 14, you can vote in person in various locations. Find your nearest voting location in Santa Clara County here.  

Q: How can I vote on the SJSU campus?

A: There are 3 ballot box locations at SJSU: Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Library, Dudley Moorhead Hall, and the Villages. You can also vote in person on the first floor of the library on September 14. Check SJSU Votes for more information.  

Q: What questions does the recall ballot ask?

A: The ballot asks 2 questions: 

1. Do you want to recall Gavin Newsom?
  2. If the governor is recalled, who do you want to replace him?

Q: What happens if the governor is “recalled”?

A: If more than 50% of voters vote YES to recall California’s current governor, he will be removed from office and replaced by the person with the most votes. If 50% or more vote NO, the governor will stay in office at least through 2022. 

Q: Has a California governor been recalled before?

A: There has only been one governor- Gray Davis in 2003- that has been recalled before. There have been 54 attempts to recall California governors in history. 

Q: Why is Gavin Newsom being recalled?

A: Even before the pandemic hit in 2020, the recall petition was introduced in February 2020. The recall attempt does not have many points related to his handling of the pandemic. Instead, there are issues related to immigration, homelessness, and property taxes. However, he did make things worse for petitioners after Covid-19 hit. According to ABC7 News, critics said he was too slow to reopen industries and other critics said he wasn’t strict enough with lockdown measures. 

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!