Favorite Disney Villains: Her Campus vs Tumblr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

I think all of the villains in Disney movies are very iconic. Despite their wrongdoings, a lot of people tend to think the villains are cool and root for them. My favorite Disney villain is Maleficent but out of curiosity, I wanted to see what San Jose State’s Her Campus chapter members’ favorite villains were. So I created a Google Form and sent it to the chapter’s Discord server. The questions were very simple.

1. Which of these villains did you like the most?
  • Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent)
  • Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland)
  • Scar (The Lion King)
  • Jafar (Aladdin)
  • Ursula (The Little Mermaid)
  • The Evil Queen (Snow White)
  • Hades (Hercules)
  • Dr. Facilier (Princess and the Frog)
  • Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians)
  • Other

2. What reasons do you like them?:

• Personality
  • Their Flaws
  • Their solo song
  • Appearance 
  • Other

I got 16 responses and these are the answers that I got:

qrcXNhyAL1snRz04BcSl5Dgv0aXY2 7AZocc1gvkoofJQ8wIroijcbMlAj pHssGSPpcXdAF2vLLxqLu7Z6qrsElXEiymugG8vJ

k8i9RhCNklFux367LyHEdeGLq4rT8WAF 3IInXhls4A3ys 1xSSVUq4IMaK1LsaCbPUt87KE7CE8JO0qQdtjOheKlBCkUoakX8Enz

Out of the 16 responses, Maleficent, Hades and Ursula took the top three spots, with Hades and Maleficent being twice the percentage of Ursula. The personality and appearance of the villain were the top two reasons for why they liked the villains

After doing this, I wondered what the difference would be compared to people on Tumblr, because I knew a lot of people liked Disney and I wanted to see if I could have a broader scope of people. So, I created another Google Form with the same questions and put it in the tags for one of the Disney fandoms. 

I got 22 responses and these are the responses:

XtENleX7HZAF8g5EFCkxgksJY4BoAWFu42mKaJDLsxduAd6XFeWsfPG tLaq6 JMW7O4gx4ss6vTlXITXXJ

I immediately saw a difference in the numbers and choices for a favorite villain. Hades and Dr. Facilier tied for first place, Maleficent and Ursula tied for second and Queen of Hearts came in at third place. Someone even chose Prince John from Robin Hood as their favorite. Personality was still the biggest reason for liking the character and appearance being the second biggest, with the solo songs right behind by one point. 

I went into this survey thinking that Maleficent would be the most popular based off of the Maleficent movie and the way Angelina Jolie portrayed her. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. 

Who is your favorite Disney villain? Tell us at @HerCampusSJSU. 

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.