This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Every writer and non-writer has experienced a fatal encounter with writer’s block. How people handle writer’s block varies for each individual; some handle it with ease, while others fumble the ball and further enhance their writer’s block. 

A quick google search will present platitude tips on overcoming writer’s block: keep writing. However, this rarely helps; forcing someone to sit in front of their writing device while experiencing writer’s block will only increase it. 

This article will focus on realistic tips to combat writer’s block and highlight real-life examples. 

Identity The Problem 

It is easy to sit on a chair and be in a quandary about the detrimental writer’s block; it takes effort and brain power to sit and form logical reasons behind the problem. 

Be inquisitive and question the cause of experiencing a roadblock in writing. People commonly experience writer’s block due to perfectionism, self-criticism, dreading the writing topic, or feeling uninspired. 

After identifying the problem, it will be much easier to develop strategies to overcome writer’s block. 

Cue The Music

Often, an unimaginative mind stems from a lack of stimulation. Though people refer to a quiet environment as the best condition for writing, many prefer the sound of music to fuel their creativity. 

When selecting music, it is best to choose instrumentals or songs sung in a foreign language. These songs assist in forming an image of the subject you wish to write about in your head. 

Moreover, you will be hyperfocused on your writing. Such music will encourage and inspire you to create a flawless piece, enabling you to acquire passion and interest in the paper. 

For instance, if someone is writing an academic paper on dream analysis,  setting up a playlist of Lofi Girl will aid them in completing the paper. Additionally, if someone is in the midst of writer’s block while writing horror fiction, playing horror soundtracks can help set an eerie mood. 

An Organized Workspace

A clean, well-kept space can go a long way mentally and creatively. An organized area provides peace to the mind, thus allowing one’s imagination to flow freely. If someone is undergoing writer’s block, the last thing they need is to have the clutter of their writing environment weighing down on their creativity. 

As a writer, I found myself underperforming in writing when working in an unorganized space, as opposed to working in a clutter-free area. Writing in a clutter-free area reduced my stress levels and allowed me to focus on the task. 

The Pomodoro Technique 

The Pomodoro Technique is a method of productive studying coined by a former university student, Francesco Cirillo, in the late 1980s. 

These are the steps of The Pomodoro Technique:

Step 1: Set a 25-minute timer and focus on completing your work.

Step 2: Once the session ends, set a five-minute timer and enjoy your break.

Step 3: After the break, set another 25-minute timer and continue your work.

Step 4: Repeat the cycle until the completion of your work. 

Many university students report that The Pomodoro Technique aids their productivity; students can work more extended periods and waste fewer distracted hours on their mobile devices. 

Before using this method, I would start homework for an hour, then take a two-hour break on my phone. The Pomodoro Technique allows me to pace myself and decreases the risk of procrastination. 

Did you find any of these tips helpful? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU

Hey everyone! I'm Annabella, a second-year majoring in English - Creative Writing. My favorite types of articles to write are pop culture/entertainment and advice columns. Some of my favorite pieces are "Exploring My Favorite Female-Written Memoirs," "Tim Burton: The Unconventional Filmmaker," and "Unpacking The Misrepresentation of the Latinx Community in Films."