Celebrating Community Through San Jose Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It is inspiring how people who live and work in San Jose, California, are passionate about everything SJ; our community finds many aspects to celebrate. For instance, the countless jerseys seen when the San Jose Sharks Ice Hockey team play, or when our community gathers at the small park in downtown for events. 

Another event we love celebrating is San Jose Day: an annual celebration of San Jose and its culture. In 2023, it marked its 5th annual. 

We celebrate San Jose Day on 4/08 because it is the area code of our local phone numbers. How clever!

The day of, I arrived at the Mexican Heritage Plaza early and was instructed to stamp guests’ hands before entering with either a “San Jose Day” stamp or a shark one. 

It was exciting to be in such a celebratory space. Local vendors sell all kinds of food in the parking lot. I tried to get the Pork Belly Street Bowl from ABVE The Basics, but they were completely sold out. 

Once my volunteer shift finished, I was able to explore and enjoy the event. 

When I went inside the venue, I couldn’t help but notice how huge it was. There was a curated art gallery displaying art made from many different media, including a nude woman being painted live. 

San Jose prioritizes its local culture, which is vibrant in art, community, and a mix of ethnic cultures, including but not limited to Vietnamese and Latin American. 

There were a few booths with local artists selling their art. Surrounding a small but beautiful waterfall and river were more vendors selling plants, sports jerseys of local teams (Go Warriors and Niners!), merchandise, henna, and more. 

In the middle of the venue were many live bands playing set after set. The music was both engaging and chill. There was enough space for people to lounge with their food and merch in grassy areas. Everyone enjoyed the space together, hearing the music and being immersed in the culture and people. The event attendance ballooned to almost 5,000 people!

This event was important to me because I love celebrating my community. Moreso, I want to contribute to my community post-graduation by hosting recreational events and programs such as San Jose Day. 

I am enamored with the existing community and hope to empower it further. This event reaffirms the culture and the culture’s vibrancy.

Finding a community is not always easy; here are some things I did to find my local community:

Walk Around Town

I am lucky enough to live in the downtown area of San Jose, surrounded by businesses and people. For you, discover your city and try to visit local businesses or small downtown areas where people gather and recreate. There are bound to be some special events.

Look out for Instagram Handles

When encountering an interesting local business, person, or event, I try to see if they have an Instagram account. Likely, their account will post about themselves or other things happening in the area (that leads you to more Instagram accounts).

Have an Open Mind

You never know what you’re going to get with community events and culture- if something sounds interesting, explore it! While you’re there, don’t be afraid to network with those vending, volunteering, or attending the event. They’re also involved with the community and could be a great connection to find out about future events or go with you!

Share what’s going on in your community with us and tag @HerCampusSJSU!

Passionate about being positive and living life to the fullest! :)