Book Recommendations For A Bookworm’s Growing To Be Read Pile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The best part about being a bookworm is buying the books, even though our ‘to be read’ pile is already too big for us to handle. It just gives us options when we dive into a new world. Here are some of my personal favorites. There are some that you probably already know, but there might be some that you don’t.

1. All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

All The Bright Places is a coming-of-age novel that tackles just how much depression can affect someone, especially to a teenager. However, heartbreak is in store if you read this one. It has also become a Netflix original movie just recently. Though it doesn’t match the storyline completely, it still makes your heart full and breaks your heart as well.

2. Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner

Goodbye Days is another coming-of-age novel that is a bit of a doozy, but it’s still great nonetheless. It addresses grief and guilt and how it can affect someone. Though there isn’t much of a love story, it still has something. It keeps you teary-eyed, but it’s definitely worth reading.

3. Oblivion by Sasha Dawn

Oblivion addresses abuse. Though you won’t be reading any triggering moments, there are mentions of it and even small moments of flashbacks. However, the ending gives a satisfying justice that all readers live for.

4. Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska tackles depression again. Though I don’t deem it a love story, it has hints of it throughout. This was John Green’s first book, and in all honesty, it is probably his best.

5. One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva

One Man Guy is another LGBTQ+ coming-of-age novel that is about a teenage boy figuring out he is gay and trying to hide it from his traditional parents. It is probably one of my favorite young adult novels because not only is it a love story, it shows the pain and fear many LGBTQ+ teenagers go through when it comes to their sexual orientation and their identity. 

6. Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon

Island of Lost Girls is a murder mystery story that is a bit on the darker side. And when I say “a bit”, I really mean a lot. We all know plot twists are like slaps in our faces, but this one will always have you going crazy. I couldn’t put it down!

7. The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

The Last Time We Say Goodbye talks about suicide and the people who are left behind. It talks about the grief that people go through and the acceptance they end up with. Even though it’s a heavy story, it’s a beautiful read, and I definitely recommend it.

8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice is a classic with several movie adaptations. However, it is still a classic love story. My favorite part is the fact that Mr. Darcy respects Elizabeth when she rejects him. This is probably one of my favorite stories of all time.

9. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera is number 1 in my top favorite books list. TPotO is my favorite storyline of all time. The book and the musical are my favorite, and I don’t think that will ever change. I definitely recommend this book.

10. Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence

Women in Love is something I’m still reading. I’m half way through it, but I am already ready to say it’s an amazing read. The love stories are beautiful and subtle but still beautiful nonetheless. I definitely recommend this story.

11. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray is number 2 in my top favorite books list. It’s a gothic story that talks about morality and beauty, both physical and mental. It’s quite amazing, and I think it’s something that everyone would enjoy.

These books range from sad to gothic to love to dark, so there should be a little something-something for everyone. Happy reading!

Hi! My name is Gabriella, but I go by Gabbie. I’m a sophomore at San Jose State University as a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I hope to use my degree in helping the world become a better place. In the SJSU chapter, I am the senior editor for the magazine.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah