Amazon Prime Student Features and Why We Love Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Before coming to SJSU, I had the luxury of using my parents’ Amazon Prime account. Now that I’m living on my own, and getting items mailed to campus instead of home, I decided it was time to spread my wings, and create my own Prime Student account. 

Before making this life-changing decision, I did some research into costs and benefits, and I realized that Amazon offers great discounts for broke college students.. Instead of paying $12.99 per month for Amazon Prime, Amazon Prime Student only costs half that, at $6.49. On top of that, you get your first 6-months free. 

With Prime, you get free shipping on your purchases, and while the same thing applies for Amazon Prime Student, there are also tons of other features that make the life of a college student so much easier. 

Major. Textbook. Savings.

Need textbooks? No problem! Prime Student offers up to 90% savings on renting or purchasing textbooks. They also offer 2-day free shipping, which comes in handy if you decide to wait until the last minute to get your books like I do. You can even get Kindle versions of the books, which eliminates the wait time altogether. 

Self-care Central!

School is stressful, and it is crucial to find ways to unwind. Prime Student is essentially a one stop shop for everything self care. You can get face masks, essential oils and diffusers, bath bombs, and so much more, no matter what time it is. With free and simple shipping, you’ll be on your way to relaxation in no time, without the stress of going to a store. 

Tons of Music!

Another one of my favorite ways to unwind is through listening to music. Prime Student comes with access to Amazon Music, which has over 2 million songs. If that’s not enough for you, it only costs an extra $0.99 to upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited, which gives you access to over 50 million songs without ads, and with an unlimited amount of skips. Now you and your friends can vibe while hanging out, listen to study music, and jam out in the car!

Movie night? Yes, please!

Amazon Prime Student also includes Prime Video at no additional cost! Prime Video has tons of TV shows and movies to choose from! Some of my personal favorites are “Teen Wolf”, “The Wilds”, and “Jack Ryan”. They have even started to make their own original films and shows. They are perfect to watch on brain breaks from studying, on date nights, and on weekends. 

Got Groceries? 

Amazon Prime Student offers grocery shopping, with Amazon Fresh.  You can get fresh groceries delivered in just 2 hours. This is such a useful feature for college students, especially if you don’t have a car, or if your schedule is busy.

Amazon Prime Student has been a wonderful experience for me so far, and I love all of the fun features it comes with. If you are considering whether or not to take the jump and get it, do it! Even if you realize it isn’t for you, you have 6 months free to decide!

What are your favorite features of Amazon Prime Student? Tell us @hercampussjsu!