7 Things I Wish I Could Tell My Younger Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

#1: It doesn’t matter what other people think.

Growing up I always had a negative view of myself because my self-worth was based on people’s perception of me. The reality is that not everyone is going to like me and I’ve learned to be okay with that. Anyone who judged me for superficial things like wearing second-hand clothing or for “talking white” despite being Black simply aren’t worth my time. 

#2: Say what’s on your mind.

I used to never be able to let anyone know what was going on in my life or how I truly felt about things inside. This was a huge mistake because shutting people out made it very difficult for anyone to get to know the person I really am. Letting people see the real me is way better than letting people make assumptions. 

#3: It’s okay to open up to people.

I used to be terrified to say my actual opinions in fear that no one cared enough to listen or they would think my interests were silly. I’ll admit it, I did not stop playing with Bratz dolls until 7th grade. Instead of hiding something like that, I should have embraced it. Who knows maybe I could’ve found other people with that same interest? But I never allowed myself to find out and that was a mistake.

#4: Explore your interests.

I entered college as undeclared because I honestly did not know what interested me. That was a pattern for me growing up. Before exploring something I might be interested in, I talked myself out of trying it because I assumed I wouldn’t be good at it. I wish I knew that it was okay to try something and fail. In the words of Aaliyah “if at first you don’t succeed, then dust yourself off and try again.”

#5: Never compare yourself to others. 

All comparing myself to other people can do is leave me feeling disappointed, and most people can relate to that feeling. There is always going to be someone smarter than me, more attractive, taller, or more successful and I’ve learned to be okay with that. All that matters is seeing my own self-worth. 

#6: You are beautiful just the way you are.

Growing up I never saw myself as beautiful. I was never the girl guys would want to ask out to prom or the girl guys would sit next to in class. I should’ve realized those things don’t really matter and don’t define my beauty. There is someone out there for everyone. The guys at my school just weren’t for me and that’s okay. 

#7: Be the person you always dreamed of, instead of thinking about it.

I would spend hours daydreaming about all the things I wanted in the future. Instead of doing that I could’ve spent that time making those dreams a reality. I dreamed of things like wearing makeup, getting a job and living a healthier lifestyle, but I didn’t realize until I got to college that anyone could do those things. Including me. I want my younger self to know that the sky’s the limit. Anything is possible. 

Tell us your resolutions by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi my name is Destiny Owens and this is my first year with Her Campus. I will write articles about a large range of topics.