This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Have you ever seen breakups in movies where they try to forget their problems by going out with their friends and having fun? Well, that was the case up until the outbreak of COVID-19. Now the broken-hearted are simply in bed all day, myself included. Although many of the ways we’d usually get our mind off of our heartbreak aren’t available right now, there are many other ways we can still heal our hearts at our own pace. I’ve gathered some tips that have helped many people mend their broken hearts.

Don’t be scared to let yourself feel.

The moment your heart realizes that your significant other is gone, it is going to hurt. It is going to feel like your heart is missing a piece of itself, and that is completely okay. It is okay to feel sad or any other emotion that’s being gathered from within. If you want to cry, then scream to your heart’s content. When you confront your emotions, you are one step closer to an even stronger heart.

Develop a new hobby

Especially now, during quarantine, there’s a lot of spare time on our hands. We might never be home as often as we are right now, therefore it is a great time to look within ourselves and find what’s good for the heart and mind. Everything that you’ve wanted to do or learn how to do can be achieved! Life is too short to not learn more about yourself and do things you love to do!

Make a clean break

In my previous tip, I said we have a lot of spare time on our hands. That also means that we might have a lot of spare time to want to be stalking their social media and thinking about the times they were still in our lives. For yourself, you should get rid of all the emotional triggers you have of them, even if it means blocking them on Instagram, removing them from Find My Friends, and deleting videos and pictures. This step is hard but will help you heal and focus on yourself.

Watch movies about growth and listen to songs about self-love

There are millions of people who understand how you are feeling, so don’t feel like you’re alone! Watching movies about the loss of love and the everlasting bond of friendship and family can help you cope with your emotions. One of my favorites is called Someone Great. It is about a woman who is overwhelmed with sadness due to being dumped by her boyfriend of 10-years. She leans on her girl-friends as she copes with her heartbreak. Music is something that helps me feel my

emotions, as well as express them through words. Some songs that made me feel empowered are “B.S.” by Jhene Aiko, “Coaster” by Khalid, “Lose You To Love Me” by Selena Gomez, and “Broken Ones” by Illenium. There are many songs out there that can help you resonate with your emotions. I suggest making a playlist with all the songs that you love to sing and listen to.

Surround yourself with people that you love

When you feel ready to talk and open to people about how you are feeling, communicate with the people that you love. This can help you strengthen the bond you have with your close family and/or friends. Fortunately, technology is very advanced nowadays, therefore you can communicate with people outside your household through facetime, zoom, discord, etc. They can be the support system that can help you through this rough patch in your life.

Acceptance and looking forward to the future

My last tip is to accept what has happened and realize that is it okay to not have someone by your side all the time. It’s like what Mama Russo said in Wizards of Waverly Place, “You’re gonna fall in love so many times before you find the one you’ll be with forever. So, think of it this way: you’re just one broken heart closer to happily ever after.” So don’t let this heartbreak interfere with you learning more about yourself and doing the things you love! When you learn how to be whole on your own, you’ll be stronger than ever. Look forward to reaching towards your dreams in the future!

To empower others through words. I am a junior at San Jose State University and pursuing a profession in Marketing! I love to share the many journeys I go through and the many lessons I've learned in my writing! Reading articles from empowering women gives me the strength to persevere in the competitive culture of business because of the support we give one another. Personally, what makes writing fulfilling to me is the inspiration, motivation, and knowledge I give others when I write about the lessons I've learned through the obstacles I've faced. Words are powerful, and writing is an art that I use to express myself and who I am. I am grateful to have a platform to share my story, and I hope you enjoy reading my articles :)
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah