6 Spooky and Mysterious Books to Curl Up With This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Halloween is the perfect time to crack open a book to get into the spooky spirit. A good book can transport us into a new world with its vivid descriptions and eccentric characters. What better way than to immerse yourself in a world of killer clowns and haunted houses! Curl up with one of these recommended spooky books. This list has something for everyone; from contemporary novels of rising popularity to timeless classics that will leave you chilled to the bone.

Before reading any of these novels, make sure to research any triggers that are included in the novels. Many horror novels include disturbing and gruesome scenes that may elicit intense reactions. Please take the time to make sure you are prepared for whatever you plan to read.

1. Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Set in 1950s Mexico, Mexican Gothic is a new and creepy gothic horror novel with vivid, disturbing imagery. Readers describe this book’s creepiness as haunting, engrossing and addicting. Noemi, a self-assured socialite, finds herself at mercy to a dilapidated mansion that delivers gruesome and disturbing nightmares.

2. The Guest List by Lucy Foley

A picture-perfect wedding is held on an island off the beautiful coast of Ireland. As the celebratory festivities commence, a dead body is discovered. With a variety of characters and their unique point of view, this mystery thriller keeps you guessing who committed the murder. The story keeps you on your toes!

3. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

A painter paints a portrait of Dorian Gray, an aristocrat who sacrifices his soul in exchange for eternal youth and vitality. Although Dorian Gray remains young, every sin he has committed is reflected in the full-size portrait that continues to age for him. Dark and thought-provoking, this novel leaves you wondering what price you would be willing to pay to remain beautiful and youthful.

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker

As a renowned classic in Gothic literature, Dracula is the definitive vampire novel. The story is deadly alluring, following Jonathan Harker, a young and naive Englishman arriving at Count Dracula’s castle. Harker later finds that Dracula has made him a prisoner in his castle. The gothic, dark atmosphere created by Bram Stoker will leave you desperate to find out what happens next.

5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

A scientist pieces together stolen body parts to bring life to a creature that navigates the world devoid of love and recognition. Horrified at his creation, the scientist shuns the creature and leaves the creature as an outcast to humanity. Thought-provoking and beautifully written with raw vulnerability, this novel will leave you pondering about morality and human emotions.

6. It by Stephen King

Nothing is more sinister than a murderous clown. Though this book may be a long read, it is heavily praised by readers for the raw emotion, themes of the loss of childhood innocence, childhood trauma and its recurrence in adulthood. This novel is a masterpiece that allows us to delve deeper into the fear we have as children and adults.

Let us know your favorite spooky books to read during the Halloween season by tagging us on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

May Lu

SJSU '21

Hello! My name is May! I love educating myself and others about our communities and how we can better support one another! In the future, I envision myself to be continuously working towards a more equitable, supportive, and empowering future for my community and many marginalized groups as their ally.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah