What’s Stuck in Your Head?: New Beginnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

September calls for a new season, which means new beginnings! Whether you are starting another year of school, work, have a new love or are getting over one, these 10 songs are awesome examples of starting over and moving in a positive direction. Link to the playist is at the bottom of the article!

Party for One – Carly Rae Jepsen

Getting over a breakup? Feeling too single? Carly Rae Jepsen tells us not to feel that way, because we can still have a good time! This new season is for loving ourselves, and not having to feel attached to someone who might weigh you down. Have your own party!

Favorite lyric: “I’ll be the one, if you don’t care about me, making love to myself, back on my beat.” 

Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen

This is the ultimate motivation song. “Don’t Stop Me Now” is about not letting anyone get in your way of doing what you want to do. You are in charge of your own life and no one else should be allowed to let you think otherwise. Don’t let them stop you now!

Favorite lyric: If you wanna have a good time, just give me a call.”

Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds

Known for its part in the iconic final scene of The Breakfast Club, this song is about moving on from the past and starting over. Knowing that while what’s done is done, the past can still stay with you and shape you into the person you want to be.

Favorite lyric: “Don’t you forget about me, I’ll be alone, dancing you know it baby.”

Motivation – Normani

Talk about girl power! If you want to be put into a good mood, listen to Normani’s newest bop. Gaining confidence and finding new love is what this song is all about, while also feeling all kinds of motivated. 

Favorite lyric: “Ain’t gon’ keep, keep fightin’ for it, ‘Cause you know this thing here ain’t regular, that ain’t regular.”

Rain – Ben Platt

This song has been on repeat for me since it came out earlier this month. It’s a song about moving on and hoping for better, especially in love. It’s about knowing what you want and what’s important to you, and we always need a song to give us these vital reminders.

Favorite lyric: “Ain’t gonna run from the wind and the thunder when we’re dancing under the rain!”

Get Out the Map – Indigo Girls

This song is about expanding your horizons and checking out new places as a way to escape life that can sometimes be pretty rough. The Indigo Girls remind us that it is important for us to “clear our heads” and make sure we care for ourselves when we need to. Time for new adventures!

Favorite lyric: “I’m gonna love you good and strong while our love is good and young.”

I’m Still Standing – Elton John

It’s all right there in the title: ‘I’m still standing.” With someone as classic as Elton John, you know that he means what he’s saying! Here’s to a future of affirmations, declarations and announcements of “I’m still standing!” and nothing can knock me down. Start this season off right by saying this to yourself, because you can, indeed, “stand better than you ever did.”

Favorite lyric: “And if our love was just a circus you’d be a clown by now.”

Good as Hell – Lizzo

A playlist without Lizzo would be nothing, especially since she is the queen of self love! All of her songs are self-esteem boosters, but none more than “Good as Hell.” It’s time to get over the slump you might be in, toss your hair and get feeling good as hell! 

Favorite lyric: “Woo child, tired of the bullshit, go on dust your shoulders off, keep it moving.”

Brand New – Ben Rector

Talk about only finding new love, but feeling like a completely new person. That’s what Ben Rector explains in “Brand New,” and this song really makes you feel that way. Not only will it get you jumping, dancing and shouting the lyrics, but it is simply a way to express how good it feels to know you have someone to love you. 

Favorite lyric: “Like when I close my eyes and don’t even care if anyone sees me dancing.”

Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song) – Billy Joel

September means moving out/in for a lot of people, especially students in college. And while that may not be the literal meaning of Billy Joel’s “Movin’ Out,” it certainly is the theme! This song is about getting away from a life that has held you back from pursuing your dreams the way you should be! It’s time to move out and move up to better things!

Favorite lyric: “It seems such a waste of time, if that’s what it’s all about, mama if that’s movin’ up then I’m movin’ out!”

Find the playlist on my Spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2FlFtNBrWkWaGrx8lOf22C?si=SeupAPNlQz6h…

Ellie Faeth

Simmons '22

Ellie Faeth is a junior at Simmons, a social work major and the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Simmons. She is a music-lover and enjoys impromptu dance parties. Ellie is very excited to share her thoughts and ideas with the Her Campus at Simmons audience.