What I Wish I Knew as a First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

It’s very interesting to see how much I’ve grown as an individual since my first day as a college student. These are some things I wish I knew then, and hope they can help someone else out too. 

1. Relax! You are an adult now after all. People are going to do things differently than they did in high school. When I graduated from high school, I was one in 64. Simmons seemed huge to me and it made my transition into college that much harder. Take a breather and for Pete’s sake, get out of your dorm!

2. Call home. This might be different for others, but I went home somewhat often. My dog has always been my best friend, and being far away from him was a struggle. Calling home or even visiting home provided some comfort and reassurance that everything will be okay. Others will think that going home is an awful idea, but for some, it’s the right thing to do.

3. Use your resources. Whether you don’t know how to write a paper, are feeling overwhelmed, or wanting to understand a certain concept, it’s important to see what your college offers. I used tutoring and the writing center a few times a week, so that I could really grasp the material. I will forever be grateful for my Calc tutor Julia, who made the concepts a lot less challenging. 

4. Learn how to eat. People will tell you about the freshman 15 as if it is a curse. I actually lost weight when I was at school because I really looked out for what I was eating. Drinking water, filling up your plate with different foods, and creating a routine is helpful. I didn’t eat salad everyday, but I did make sure to eat fruits and vegetables. There are ways to make it fun.

5. Be kind. Some words can’t get taken back after you say them, and they can easily hurt others. Talking about how someone looks, their relationships with others, or sharing secrets isn’t kind. You’re in college now, so try to be the adult that you’re supposed to be. 

6. Make mistakes. As Tony Hawk put it, the first third of your life should be filled with as many mistakes as possible. It’s okay to make mistakes, but make sure you learn from them.

7. Join different groups on campus. Not to be super generic and vanilla, but it’s a great way to meet new people. Simmons Gymnastics will always hold a special place in my heart.

8. Save money. Although the leggings from Lululemon are amazing, you’re in college with student loans. Maybe skip out on the $100 leggings today. 

9. That girl with awesome pictures on her Instagram page could easily be your best friend next year. My best friend Sierra has the coolest pictures on Instagram. First year Simmons Sydney would never even say hello to her. Now I call her when I need to rant about how much I love Jersey Shore.

Hi! I'm Sydney and I am a sophomore at Simmons University. I love gymnastics, cooking and reality television.