The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

We Put Together a 10-Step Korean Skincare Routine So You Don’t Have to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Korean beauty has been gaining popularity worldwide over the past few years. One of the defining features of this cultural phenomenon is the complexity of the routines. A few years ago, Korean skincare and beauty routines came into the mainstream, accelerated by the presence of the beauty community on blogging sites and YouTube.

The most defining feature of a Korean skincare routine typically is that it is 10 steps. While not every step is performed everyday, all steps serve an important role in this routine. If you’re interested in what that routine exactly is, we’ve broken it down into simple terms.

1. Makeup-Remover + Oil-Based Cleanser

This step is used to get rid of any makeup or dirt that has been sitting on your face all day. This step is performed every day, especially assuming that the user wears makeup consistently. Here is one that many Korean skincare followers recommend.

2. Foam/Water-Based Cleanser

That’s right—two cleansers. The foam/water-based cleanser will wash away any remaining impurities and residue from the oil cleanser. Already, this process may be more complicated than your average skincare routine. See an example of a foaming cleanser here.

3. Exfoliator

This step should be performed only 2-3x per week. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells from your pores. Many beauty influencers will gladly tell you about the benefits of exfoliating. If you’re interested in a more natural exfoliator, try this one.

4. Toner

Toners are responsible for restoring your pH levels and rehydrating your skin. After something more abrasive like an exfoliator, the role of the toner is definitely an important one. Here’s a toner that you can find in a place like Target.

5. Essence

The essence is the very heart of a Korean skincare routine. It is known for its capability to aide in cell turnover and hydrate your skin. This essence is recommended by k-beauty followers.

6. Serums

This is the step to apply any serums, boosters, or ampoules. This customizable part of the routine exists to directly treat your unique issues, such as pigmentation, wrinkles, etc. Because serums are unique to the individual, you should do your research into this one. Here’s one that’s anti-aging.

7. Sheet Mask

This step can be done 1-2x/week or everyday. The purpose of the sheet mask is to give your skin the best possible treatment. This is another important step in the Korean skincare regimen. The best thing about this step is that you can buy a sheet mask basically anywhere. These sheet masks are k-beauty specific, but even ones from Marshalls could work!

8. Eye Cream

Eye cream will help hydrate and protect the delicate areas around your eyes. Some skincare fanatics swear by it. Here’s one that uses orchid extract!

9. Moisturizer

Moisturizing is probably one of the most important steps, not just in Korean skincare routines, but in all skincare routines. Hydrated skin is healthy skin! You can use any moisturizer of your choosing. Even this drugstore brand will work.

10. SPF

Sunscreen should be applied every morning to protect your skin from the harshest light: the sun. This is the ultimate protection for your skin, and can help prevent things like skin cancer. This one has an SPF of 45.

If you’re looking to incorporate a Korean skincare regimen into your daily routine, don’t be overwhelmed by the amount of products! You don’t have to jump in head-first. Try incorporating just one of these products into your pre-existing routine and work your way up from there. We hope this list was helpful!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen