This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

There are certain rules that must be followed when we use the MBTA system. It is confusing, frustrating, and generally annoying to navigate. I have provided some general rules for all T riders, as an attempt to streamline the process of using the T.

1. For the love of God, offer your seat to anyone elderly, pregnant, injured, or disabled.  Don’t be the jerk that just sits there and stares at them. If you are able-bodied and can move your butt, move it!

2. When the doors to the T open, wait for the people getting off the train to exit before you climb on. Once they get off, more room for you! Do not shove onto the train as soon as the doors open. Seriously. It’s infuriating.

3. If you are on the T, near the door, and someone is trying to get off at a certain stop, MOVE. It isn’t helpful to move 3 inches backward when it’s packed. Step off the train for a second, wait for them to exit, then get back on.

4. Speaking of #3, do NOT try to get on the train before people who stepped off to let someone out. They’re doing a nice thing: be patient.

5. When you can tell it’s going to be a busy ride, step into the middle of the car to make space for others. Nothing is worse than being squished by the doors when there is plenty of room in the middle.

6. If someone is wearing headphones, leave them be. They are wearing the headphones for a reason.

7. If you want to be able to listen to your surroundings, but fear being talked to by some creep if you aren’t wearing headphones, wear them without playing music.

8. Do not ride the Orange Line at weird hours of the night. Trust me.

9. If someone near you seems a little off, do not make eye contact. I have made this mistake many times before. I have been yelled at and hit on far too many times.

10. If you need to transfer to one of the other Green Lines from E, transfer at Arlington! Copley isn’t connected underground, and some people might trip and fall over in a moment of panic. Not me, though. Definitely not me.

A suburban girl turned city slicker who loves her friends, writing, and her Sephora Beauty Insider card.