Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner which means that love is in the air… but not for everyone. Whether it’s your first V-Day spent being single or just another year to you, here are some ways to spend the day:

Make plans with your single friends

Spending time with friends doesn’t have to just be reserved for Galentine’s/Palentine’s Day. Put the signal out there that you’re looking to spend the day with friends and go from there! Odds are, you’re not the only one alone this year!

V-Day movie marathon

Whether you’re with friends or not, a movie marathon is a great way to spend any day! This depends on what you’re more into. Perhaps you want to get together with friends and make fun of unrealistic Hallmark movies (I’m not endorsing a Hallmark movie drinking game but… it’s an option). Maybe romance just isn’t your thing and you want to go on the other side of the spectrum and watch exclusively horror movies. Either way, this is a way to have fun in the spirit of the holiday!

Have a self-care night

Why spend time and money on a partner when you can do so on yourself? Do a face mask. Read a book. Paint your nails. Do some yoga. Make art. Whatever relaxes you, don’t be afraid to indulge yourself.

Get baking

Who needs those candy hearts when you can spend the day making your own treats! The bright side to being single is that you don’t have to share with anyone – you can truly have your cake and eat it, too.

Take yourself on a date

There’s nothing wrong with doing things by yourself! Go to a museum and get lost looking at all the art. Treat yourself to a fancy Italian restaurant. When you’re single, you don’t have to worry about what another person wants. Do what YOU want.

Treat your friends to a date

If you don’t want to be alone, try planning a cute platonic date! Do all the aforementioned things but with a friend! Who said that you needed a partner to have fun? 

Remember that being single is not the end of the world. It’s a wonderful time to truly focus on yourself and your needs. It’s the time to be selfish and discover what you want and what you love. At the same time, you can devote all the love you have toward your friends. Whether you date or not, your friends will always be there. You may not have a significant other this Valentine’s Day, but that just means you get to devote time to the most important relationships: your friends and yourself!

Happy Valentine’s Day

HCXO

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen