This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Let’s be honest, Valentines day kinda sucks if you don’t have a significant other. It’s also a huge marketing scam to pressure people into proving their love.

So, I propose that Galentines Day becomes the new Valentines Day, and we should take this day to celebrate the wonderful women and female-identifying sisters in our lives. That means acknowledging everyone’s struggles and striving to make this world a better place.

Regardless of the type of feminism you identify with, I strongly believe that the baseline should be Intersectional feminism. Created by Kimberle Crenshaw, it’s the theory that women of color have a harder time than white women because their race and gender intersect.

So when you’re advocating for women’s rights, make sure that you acknowledge and adjust your strategy to help not just white women, but Native American women, POC women, LatinX women, queer women and everyone in between. Donate to organizations that promote Intersectional values and teach other women that may not be aware of Intersectionality.

Treat you and your girls to some fancy chocolates and flowers. Sit and discuss the world around you and how you can together make a difference. Acknowledge and support mental health issues and listen to survivors.  

Read female authors, study female artists, listen to female singers and musicians and watch female-directed TV shows and movies. Celebrate female identifying and queer fashion — especially when it comes to breaking stereotypes.

This Galentines Day, celebrate how awesome it is being a woman.

Sara Getman

Simmons '22

Sara is a current Undergraduate student at Simmons University, majoring in English and double minoring in Journalism and Political Science. She was the head editor and political writer at her high school newspaper and dreams of being a journalist some day. She is a junior editor for her Her Campus chapter and a radio host for Simmons The Shark radio. She's a musician, cat lover, artist, writer and obsessed with reading (especially Cassandra Clare.)