Wellness

5 Tips on How to Deal With an Eating Disorder Around The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Having an eating disorder any time of year is difficult, but especially around the holiday season where many people find food the most important part of the season. While nothing I can tell you will make the struggle nonexistent, I hope they at least make it easier. 

Everyone’s eating disorder is different, some of these tips may not apply to yours, and that’s okay! You know yourself best. Not your eating disorder, not me, only you!

1. Have at least one person who knows what you’re going through

Telling people about your eating disorder is easier said than done, but it’s so helpful to know there’s someone who has your back and can help catch you when you’re slipping. Let them help guide you as you eat, discuss beforehand what helps you to hear. Remember that they know better than your eating disorder what you need.

2. Wait until other people have finished getting their food before you get yours

If your family is anything like mine, getting Thanksgiving dinner is very chaotic, and everyone wants to tell you what foods are the best. Go up alone, or with your support, so that other people won’t be pushing around you and overwhelming you as you choose your food. 

3. Plan out your meal before hand

If you have a nutritionist or therapist, discuss this with them. Knowing what you’re going to pick will relieve some of the stress in the moment. Tell your support so that they know to make sure you have the right amount of food.

4. If people are talking about dieting, weightloss, or anything along those lines, know that it’s okay to leave.

Excuse yourself to the bathroom, go join another conversation, find some way out of the situation. It’s not rude; it’s knowing yourself and what you’re okay with listening to. 

5. Know that it’s okay if it doesn’t go perfectly

Making it through this season is difficult, and you are so strong for facing it and trying your best. If you make a few missteps along the way, that’s 100% okay. 

You’ve got this! Your eating disorder is a liar, and you are 100,000,000 times stronger than it. I believe in you.

Ellie Preece

Simmons '23

Ellie is a freshman at Simmons University majoring in Elementary Education and Sociology. She loves singing, sustainability, and her plants and has a passion for skincare. When she's not writing she can be found watching New Girl or Jane the Virgin.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen