This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Graduation for freshmen seems a lifetime away. Most of us can hardly imagine what will happen next semester, let alone where we’ll be in three or four years. It is a stark and sometimes chilling prospect though that those student loans and all the other fun stuff that comes with being an adult is just around the corner. First response many of us may have will be “I’m only 18/19! I don’t need to start worrying till at least my junior year!” Unfortunately, that mindset is the kind that leads to freaked out seniors running to bombard the career center for jobs a month before graduation. The solution? Revving up your resume now.

It’s time to start thinking about your resume in relation to everything you do. Ok, that sounds a little neurotic and you don’t have to keep it in mind every second of the day; however, ask yourself, what would you put on your professional resume if you had to submit it right now? What if the job or internship of your dreams was offered to you and all they asked for was a stellar resume by the end of the week? It doesn’t happen for everyone but the chance is one that can’t be missed if it comes. Once you enter the workforce, it’s a big competition to see who stands out.  You’re being compared to hundreds of other applicants who may very well have a better GPA or come from a more renowned school. Your resume is a way to distinguish yourself from the masses. Trust me when I say there are plenty of overachievers who see this opportunity and jump on it early. So why shouldn’t you?

Sure, some of us honestly don’t even have a clue where we’re heading with our lives.  Time waits for no student and procrastinating on a resume is never a good idea. Getting involved early, even if you have no clue where exactly your going, is better then nothing. You might even want to branch away from your major and discover passions you never expected. Be a biochemistry major that chooses to get involved with a writing club or a finance major that enjoys participating in community service with Habitat For Humanity. Not only does this set you apart, it shows other dimensions of who you are and what you stand for.

Involvement in clubs and general extra curricular activities is only going to plump up your resume for the competitive job market and maybe help you find or develop your passions along the way.  Plus, the longer you are involved in an activity, the better your chances of gaining a leadership role is and that always looks great to any future employer. Dedication and leadership are key components that are prized in all fields of work. It’s all about getting the early start to build the habits you want already developed as a worker. Being a carefree student won’t last forever after all.

In addition to the tons of clubs you can join, also consider an internship. Soon. Like, maybe right now. Tons of your peers will be looking around for internships to plump up the experience section of their resumes come junior year. Best thing you can do is start looking now, getting an idea at least of what you can expect for when you seriously contemplate having one. Most internships you will get as an underclassmen are probably equivalent of being an office servant, doing coffee runs and filing; however, even these positions allow you to get exposure to the field and any potential boss is going to notice that on a resume.  Before you know it you’ll be a junior with viable references for other internships and, possibly, even an invite to do major related work in the company you worked with previously.

Again, maybe all of this seems over kill for an underclassman; however, factors will be working against you come junior and senior year. The career center is a great resource, but you need to give them the time to help you. I’ve personally heard some stories about seniors who waited to get their resumes looked over and missed a potential job. I can recall at least two stories this semester of students who had unexpected interviews that they felt they didn’t exactly know how to prepare for. You have the means to improve here on campus before you go out into the world so use it! I will stress again, this is not something to wait last minute to think about.

Christina Schultz is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Economics..