Readjusting to Siena Fresh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

After a month of home-cooked meals, eating in the dining hall again is going to be an adjustment. Here are some things to keep in mind while you get reacquainted:

1. Siena Fresh puts out a monthly calendar of special meals and events going on in Lonnstrom and Massry. Make sure to check it out so you don’t miss things like “Popcorn Day” or “Blueberry Pancake Day”!

2. Massry puts on Roots Café every Wednesday, starting on January 27th. The meals are locally sourced and organic, making them seem closer to a home-cooked meal than what you traditionally find in the dining halls.

3. If your mom is anything like mine, she made sure that every meal you ate at home included fruits and vegetables. Don’t let this habit slip now that you’re back at school! The salad bar is always available, as are apples and bananas. If the bananas aren’t ripe yet, take a couple back to your room so you can eat them in a couple of days!

4. Don’t eat all of your meals in the same place. If you alternate between Lonnstrom, Massry, Casey’s, and Lunch-to-Go, your meals will be more varied and you won’t get sick of your go-to staples as quickly.

5. If you wish that Lonnstrom or Massry would serve your favorite dish more often, leave a comment card! You can also use the comment cards to suggest meals or side dishes that you haven’t seen from Siena Fresh, but would like to see in the future.

6. Try to eat off campus occasionally. Siena offers a shuttle to Crossgates every weekend and there are a bunch of great restaurants and fast food chains there! It’s always a refreshing change of scenery when you eat somewhere different.

Readjusting to Siena Fresh isn’t going to be easy, and you’ll definitely miss your parents’ cooking. Bring some leftovers back with you whenenever you visit, so you’ll have that taste of home for a little bit longer.  

For updates, here’s where you can follow Siena Fresh:

Facebook: Siena College Dining Services

Twitter: @sienafresh

Instagram: @sienafresh

Kristen Bossio is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.