This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With the semester in full gear with tests and projects coming our way, finding an ideal place to study is key.  The most obvious place that pops into most people’s mind on where to go when they need a power study session is the library, aka the lib. But what if the lib just isn’t for you? Can’t stand how distracting everyone walking around you is as you try to stare down notes? Unable to help but feel like taking a nap or browsing BuzzFeed posts as soon as you sit in a private study room? Well, here are a few suggestions on the places you should be studying if all of that applies to you. 

Location: Roger Bacon

Ideal time to go: Late Night (After 8pm)

Positives: Any good science major knows the ideal place to study is a random room in the maze (for any non-science major) that is Roger Bacon. Few if any club meetings are ever there, so you most likely will never have to move if you find a comfy place in a classroom to set up for a cram session. In addition, there is the boss longue on the first floor if you don’t mind the possibility of people walking by semi-frequently – unless you are there past 10pm, in which case, there’s good chance no one except the lone fellow night owl will pass by. Plus, vending machines for snack breaks!

Negatives: It is a maze for any non-science majors so getting out after wandering the halls too late at night could be a struggle.

Location: Morrell Science Center

Positives: There are specific dedicated lounges tucked away for late night studying. If people are there, they are usually there for pure silent studying and so it’s highly unlikely that anyone will be talking loudly or making distracting noises.

Negative: If you’re hoping to avoid people all together, this is not the best place since it is pretty well-known for science majors. You also have to keep in mind that a lot of late night labs get out and people may be passing by after.

Location: Dorm Lounge

Ideal time to go: Morning to Midday

Positives: Probably the easiest, most convenient place to go other than your own dorm. Usually deserted during class time, dorm lounges are highly under utilized for studying places. Again, good proximity to vending machines and really any food you might have in your dorm. Everyone knows where they are and, again, going to stress this, it’s right down/up the stairs from your dorm so if you want to bug your friends to come join you, they have no excuse!

Negative: The time after most classes end is usually when it gets a little busier in the lounges. Plus it’s not uncommon for dorm meetings or events to happen in there, so as for it being a steady study place option, it might not be ideal.

Location: Casey’s

Ideal time to go: Anytime but free period

Positives: Casey’s vibe is great and with the on-campus Starbucks right there, you will have no problem staying energized and well-fed throughout the marathon of essays and projects you need to do. Another great part is that you will usually see people around to chat with if you need a little social break before moving onto the next big part of your project.

Negatives: It can get loud. Like, really loud. While some people may thrive with that, anyone who needs absolute silence or doesn’t like studying with ear buds in might have a bit of an issue. There is also the problem that, especially during free period, tables fill up fast so securing a spot isn’t always easy. Plus, if you’re anything like me, the temptation to always get more coffee is too real.

Christina Schultz is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Economics..