An Open Letter to Acne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Dear Acne,

I will no longer be buying hundreds of dollars worth of makeup, acne medications, face washes, facials, special sunscreen, and toners just to keep your presence at a minimum. This relationship is very one-sided. You are constantly taking from me. You demand to be seen all the time and often feel like the center of attention. It is incredibly selfish and demeaning of you.

So, with this I can confidently say that it is time we end our relationship. It’s not you, it’s me — actually, it is you. Like I told you before, this relationship is full of me having to accommodate and work around you. Constantly having to scrub my face until it’s raw in hopes that you’ll magically disappear when I wash the cleanser off, covering my face up with makeup and having to reapply it multiple times a day, taking expensive acne medications that have dangerous side effects, and being self conscious for the majority of the day, everyday, is exhausting, unhealthy, and frustrating. Even when you do occasionally leave me and give me a break, the scars you left me with are always visible and a reminder that you will inevitably be back.

Acne, we’ve been together for so long. You have been there for me more than most people. You have been in my life and by my side for some of the most important times in my life. The memories we have had together have surpassed all my expectations. You were there for me on my first day of middle school, my first day of high school, my sixteenth birthday celebration, and  e v e r y  s i n g l e  one of my middle and high school concerts. Oh, and let’s not forget how you were there for me for senior prom and my high school graduation. How could I forget though? Every time I smiled I felt your presence. Literally. Some might view you always standing by me as pure dedication to me, but it’s getting to the point that it’s annoying.

Now, you’ve followed me to college. This has gone too far, and I’m more than ready to leave you behind. So, consider this my breakup letter to you. You have left your mark on me emotionally and physically. I have prayed so many times that you would leave me, as well as the scars that feel permanently embedded into my face. I need you to forget me and move on.

I wish you the best.

Love,

Katie