New Years Resolutions: How to Stay Motivated!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s the time for new beginnings! With 2014 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to leave the past in the past and start off 2015 with new goals. New Years resolutions can be very hard to keep. In fact, most people give up on their resolutions within 2 weeks of the new year. But that doesn’t have to be you! New Years resolutions are hard to keep but it is never impossible to accomplish your goals. Here are 4 ways to help you stay motivated to make 2015 your best year yet. 

1. Make a list you can handle 

Many people make the mistake of deciding on too many goals and in the end most of those goals are not accomplished. Keeping your list short gives you a chance to focus on your goals individually and can be less overwhelming. A resolutions list should contain 2-3 goals which will help you stay on track and achieve your goals.

2. Use the Buddy System

The buddy system is one system that can never fail. Having a friend or two join in on your goals is a perfect way to stay motivated. Whether you’d like to get more exercise, quit smoking, or eat healthy having a friend will encourage a support system and will keep your eye on the prize.

3. Make short term goals rather than long term goals

Breaking up your goals into smaller chunks can actually be more effective than having this one big major goal to look forward too. For example, if your goal is to lose 20 pounds try to set weekly goals to meet that one major end goal. Perhaps try and lose one pound per week. This way you are able to measure your progress and feel better about the work you are doing. 

4. Don’t get discouraged 

Probably one of the most important things to remember when setting large goals for yourself is to never feel so discouraged that you feel you have to give up. Having an off day and straying from your goals is totally normal. Nobody’s perfect. Even when you have days where nothing is working out the way you planned don’t quit. That one day is not going to ruin everything you have worked for. Pick yourself up and just remember that tomorrow is another day. 

Annie Zeina studied at Siena College from 2013-2015. She studied Journalism during her time at Siena.