This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Now I can’t say I’ve been through every Netflix original movie, but from the ones I have seen I think these are the ones worth watching! Whether you’re in the mood for a scare or something more cheesy and romantic, there’s something on this list for you!

You

This show definitely holds suspense, and I personally wouldn’t recommend watching it right before you go to bed. This Netflix original narrows in on what an artist would do for love, once finding a girl that he finds to be irresistible. He begins to use social media and any other outlet he can find to somehow get close to her. He stops at nothing to let her know that he exists, and takes down any obstacles in the way of him finding love. The first season is out already on Netflix, and season two will premiere at some point later this year.

Someone Great

When a city girl gets dumped by the boyfriend she talked about the rest of her life with, her world gets flipped upside down. Having the support of her two closest girls and her dreams of being a music journalist pick her back up again before she moves across the country for a once in a lifetime job opportunity. This movie was full of laughs, and brought some tears as well. She goes through the emotional rollercoaster of heartbreak, excitement and of course the feelings that come with saying goodbye to your best friends and hometown. If you’re in the mood for a feel good movie, this is definitely it!!

Murder Mystery

When I first started watching this movie, I didn’t think it would be something to catch my attention; but within the first 15 minutes, I was hooked! A couple who hasn’t celebrated their honeymoon yet takes a getaway vacation to Italy when everything that could possibly go wrong, goes wrong. There’s a murder on the ship that they’re staying on so naturally, a mystery must come out of it! For their whole trip they try to solve who did it, while also keeping themselves safe from the still active murderer! This movie takes a lot of twists and turns and will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat while watching!

Dumplin’

Scrolling through Netflix I didn’t know what this movie would be about when I first came across it. It took me some time before I sat down and decided to see what it was all about. This movie tells a story of a girl who tries to prove a point about being yourself and fitting in by entering a beauty pageant that her mom is running as an ex-beauty queen herself. Through her journey to the crown, she learns valuable lessons along the way that are life-long skills that anyone could use in their own lives! 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Last but certainly not least, the movie that I’m pretty sure made every girls heart go “Aww” during the summer of 2019. This movie follows the story of a girl who has written a letter to all the boys shes loved before, who all end up reappearing in her life when her sister accidentally mails them all! She instead, falls for a guy that she thinks she has no chance with only to get closer with him as the school year goes on. This movie is full of laughable moments and lots of romance, it’s perfect to watch for whatever mood you’re in!

These five movies and shows that I’ve listed are only my suggestions, but I really think that they’re some of Netflix’s best work! I’m someone who likes to stick to what I know, not venture outside a certain level of comfort buuuut I’m glad I took the chance and watched these movies. With that being said, sit back, relax, pop some popcorn and enjoy!

Jessica Dery is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing and minored in Human Resources.