This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With so many to choose from, narrowing it down to just five was hard.

5. Spy (2015)

Directed and Written by: Paul Feig

Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Jude Law, Jason Statham, Rose Byrne, and Allison Janney

Premise: McCarthy stars as Susan Cooper, a CIA analyst working under Agent Bradley Fine (Jude Law). Although a certified agent, Cooper has settled for working behind a desk. When Fine is murdered retrieving a nuclear device, it is up to Susan to step up and finish the job.

My reason: Because of her looks, age, and gender, Susan Cooper isn’t taken seriously by anyone in her field. She proves that looks can be deceiving.

Where to watch: Amazon Instant Video and  iTunes

4. Volver (meaning “to return”) (2006)

Directed and Written by: Pedro Almodóvar.

Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Yohana Cobo, and Lola Dueñas  

Premise: Cruz stars as Raimunda, a mother living in Madrid trying to rebuild her life amidst tragedy. Meanwhile, the ghost of her mother moves in with Soledad (Dueñas), Raimunda’s sister. This Spanish film earned Penelope Cruz an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress in 2006.

My reason: Featuring an all women main cast, Volver explores the complex bonds female family members have and how trauma can bring them together.

3. Bend it like Beckham (2002)

Directed by: Gurinder Chadha

Written by: Gurinder Chadha, Guljit Bindra, Paul Mayeda Berges

Starring: Parminder Nagra, Keira Knightley,  Archie Panjabi,  Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Anupam Kher, and Shaheen Khan

Premise: British teenager Jess dreams of becoming a professional soccer player but there’s one problem: not believing it to be a proper activity for a woman, her conservative Indian parents forbid her to play. When she’s recruited to play for a local team, Jess decides to join without the knowledge of her parents.

My reason: Jess challenges traditional expectations of what a girl can and cannot do and follows her dreams.

2. Frida (2002)

Directed by: Julie Taymor

Screenplay by: Clancy Sigal, Diane Lake, Gregory Nava, Anna Thomas

Based on: Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo by Hayden Herrera

Starring: Salma Hayek, Alfred Molina, Mía Maestro, Geoffrey Rush, Ashley Judd, and Antonio Banderas

Premise: Frida follows the life and meteoric rise of  Frida Kahlo (Hayek) and her complex relationship with her husband: famed artist Diego Rivera (Molina). Frida was nominated for four Academy Awards and won two.

My reason: Constantly compared to her husband, Frida was able to prove her place as a true artist all on her own.

Where to watch: Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and  iTunes

1. 9 to 5 (1980)

Directed by: Colin Higgins

Written by: Patricia Resnick and Colin Higgins

Starring: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton, and Dabney Coleman

Premise: In this classic 1980s movie, Judy (Fonda), Violet (Tomlin), and Doralee (Parton) are three women working under the tyranny of sexist boss Mr. Hart (Coleman). After accidentally kidnapping Mr. Hart, Judy, Violet, and Doralee decide to keep him hostage while they make some changes around the office.

My reason: Not only does 9 to 5 portray the sexism women face in the workforce but it examines how women perceive one another.

Where to watch: Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and  iTunes

Salome Degroult-Elias is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English.