dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Move Over Tindr – “Happn” is the Dating App of the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

We’ve all been there. Falling in love with that cutie on the subway or bus, just seats across from you. They’re always impeccably dressed, well groomed, sometimes reading or working on a paper. Every so often, if you’re lucky, they’ll look up for that 2-second tease of romantically charged eye contact. You begin to find yourself planning your whole future together. Introducing them to your family, the dream wedding, what on earth would you name your kids?  But then, their stop rolls up, the doors open, and they get off.

Oh well, it is better to have fake loved and lost then to never have loved at all!

But what if it didn’t have to be that way?

What if that hottie on public transport- or cute rando in any part of your day wasn’t so random at all? What if those subway-wedding fantasies suddenly became a viable option?

The new dating app called “happn” is aimed at making all of those dreams reality.

The idea behind Happn is that it shows you people with similar interests who you’ve “crossed paths” with in the real world. Kind of like Tindr, but with a GPS location to search within a 250 meter radius of where you are. Call it a hottie locator if you will — the app picks up on other users in your immediate area, and if you like them, you give them a swipe. Unlike its other mobile counterparts, happn doesn’t show you profiles of anyone you haven’t crossed paths with.

Regarded as the hopeless romantic of dating apps, happn draws its stylization and creation back to 2014, by 3 Parisian web designers called Didier Rappaport, Fabien Cohen, and Antony Cohen, who founded the dating app in order to bring a sense of “realism” to the seemingly endless digitalization of love.

Happn has a simple tag line: “Find the People you’ve crossed paths with”, yet the complicity of the app goes much deeper than that. Is the fact that one has a GPS locator on them at all times a bit Orwellian?

Yes.

Does the fact that this GPS’s purpose serves solely to find its possessor a cutie matter?

Probably.

The way we use our rapidly changing technology is ever evolving. It’s exciting to see what will happen next, and things like “happn” quite innocently disinherit all of the “1984” nightmares of our past. Maybe in the future we will see dating apps that make our apple watches buzz every time you’re next to someone with similar interests. Perhaps, a happn type app but for people that want to pet dogs in their area?

Whether you’re making it “happen” in real life or “happn” on your Iphone. No one can deny that technology is rapidly changing the world of dating.

It’s always great to keep updated, and perchance give that cutie on the subway or bus a second glance before losing them forever

Kelly-Rose Marry is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Creative Arts.