Long Distance Relationship Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Many college students believe that long distance relationships are never going to work out. Some of your best friends may advise you not to take it too seriously, in case you get your heart broken. Nobody said a long distance relationship is easy. Things could get complicated and leave you feeling sad and lonely at time. However, the extra distance also makes the small and simplest things the sweetest. For example, holding each other’s hand, taking walks together. These small things suddenly mean the so so much more in a long distance relationship.

Long distance relationship may be tough but it has its own surprises too. Ariana, a sophomore at Siena College has been in a long distance relationship for two years. Here are some of her positives of a long distance relationship and some tips she would give couples:

1) Everything revolves around trust:

Being in a long distance trust is extremely important because you are far away from each other so you have to trust everything they do  you because you are not there with them to see the truth.

2) Effort:

Making time to talk and video chat is important because it allows you to know what is going on in their day. Since you are not with them during the day, the effort to know what goes on throughout there down allows you to connect with each other better and support one another.

3) Don’t be clingy:

When your in a long distance relationship it’s really easy to become clingy because you want to with them.  You need to allow one another to live their life without you and be able to go out and do their own thing.  If they’re not texting you, it doesn’t mean they forgot about you, it just means they are having fun with there friends, which you should be too! 

4) Support:

Being away from each other you need to learn how to support one another in a different way.  You can’t physically be there for them so you need to adapt and learn to shoot them good luck on a test or give them advice about a roommate, how ever you shown it, it’s really important that your there for them when they need it.

5) Appreciate what you have:

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder” is actually a true statement.  Long distance is pretty difficult, but it genuinely makes you appreciate what you have.  It makes reunions, videos chats, and even phone calls more important and they make your day. 

Deep a senior at Siena College was in a long distance relationship for four years. Here are some of the components he said are the most important thing in a long distance relationship:

1.     Trust

2.     Communication

3.     Not losing feelings for each other

4.     Being understanding

5.     Having patience

Now use these tips to encourage you to start a long distance relationship or to strengthen an already existing one! 

RaShonda Jones is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing.