Life Lessons I’ve Learned From Disney Movies Part 2: Pinocchio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

In the last installment of “Life Lessons I’ve Learned from Disney Movies,” we explored Walt Disney’s first animated feature film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. For this edition, we will look at a film that is very different from the last. While Snow White involves a beautiful princess finding her Prince Charming, making new friends, and being surrounded by adorably helpful woodland creatures, Pinocchio is a much darker film, although it is just as touching in the end.

My preparation for writing this piece was interesting due to the fact that I had never seen Pinocchio before.  Although I knew the basic framework of the story beforehand, I did not know exactly what to expect from this film.  What I definitely did not expect was the interesting blend of heartwarming moments and sad, dark, and even down-right terrifying moments (I’m sure those of you that have seen the film before know what I’m talking about).  All of the ups, downs, and unexpected twists made this the most fascinating (and dare I say, bizarre) Disney film I have seen thus far.  While I would likely give a second thought to showing this film to small children, the great thing about this film is that it provides some very important life lessons that everyone can benefit from.  Without further ado, here are the ten lessons that I took away from the second animated film to come out of Walt Disney Studios, Pinocchio.

1.  If you do good things for others, good things are sure to come your way.

In the beginning of the film, Gepetto makes a wish on a star for his new puppet Pinocchio to become a real boy.  The reason the Blue Fairy decides to grant his wish is because of Gepetto’s good-hearted nature.  By bringing joy and happiness to the community through his work, Gepetto has earned a gift in return.  The lesson to learn here is that kindness counts and is never truly overlooked.  While it may take a while, people will notice your good deeds and will try to help you in return.

2. “Always let your conscience be your guide.”

All of Pinocchio’s problems come from not following this piece of advice.  Pinocchio allows himself to walk straight into trouble because he does not listen when Jiminy Cricket, his conscience, tries to tell him the right thing to do. We all have an inner voice that helps us tell the difference between right and wrong, good and bad.  You know when you have a gut feeling about something, or when you have a funny feeling about a situation?  That is your conscience.  If your instincts are telling you not to do something, then you probably shouldn’t do it.  After all, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

3.  Families come in many different forms.

In its more traditional form, a family consists of a father, mother, and their children.  While there is nothing wrong with this picture, it is not the only legitimate kind of family.  A family could consist of two fathers, two mothers, a single mother or father and their children, grandparents raising their grandchildren, or an unmarried couple and their pets.  There are hundreds of ways that a family could take shape.  The family in the film is made up of the elderly Gepetto, his new son Pinocchio, Jiminy, and their cat and fish Figaro and Cleo, respectively.  It doesn’t matter what a family looks like, as long as everyone in it loves and cares for each other.

4.  Be wary of strangers, and don’t be too trusting.

Pinocchio runs into a lot of trouble in the film, partially because he does not listen to Jiminy, but also because he is too trusting of the strangers he encounters who are only out to hurt him and get him into trouble.  When we were children, our parents always told us not to talk to strangers.  We can’t completely do this anymore now that we’re older, but this lesson still holds merit.  When meeting someone new, it is always a good idea to be at least a little wary of them.  Like Pinocchio, you won’t know if that person is good to be around or not until it’s too late.

5.  It’s okay to “snitch” if someone needs help.

When Pinocchio first leaves with Honest John and Gideon, Jiminy considers telling Gepetto, but then decides against it because he thinks it would be snitching.  As a result, Pinocchio ends up getting in twice as much trouble and Gepetto finds himself in the belly of a whale while trying to find his son.  In truth, there is no such thing as “snitching”.  If there is someone in a dangerous situation, it is better to get help and run risk of someone getting in trouble for doing something wrong than to not do anything and let someone stay in an unsafe situation.

6.  Make sure to fulfil your responsibilities before you have (too much) fun.

This lesson comes about through what is the most terrifying and uncomfortable sequence I have ever watched in a Disney film:  the Pleasure Island scene.  In short, this scene consists of the Coachman bringing “bad” little boys that don’t want to go to school to Pleasure Island, where they can drink, smoke, and do anything else they want, seemingly without consequence, only to end up being transformed into donkeys because they have “made jackasses out of themselves” through their bad behavior.  While this scene is undeniably disturbing, there is something to be learned from this.  There is nothing wrong with taking a break from life, going out, and having fun, but it is best to take care of your responsibilities first.  It’s much easier to have fun without the burden of unfinished homework on your chest.

7.  Lies can grow far beyond your control.

Pinocchio’s most iconic characteristic is his nose/lie detector.  We all have told little white lies for one reason or another, and that’s not always a terrible thing, but for the most part, it is much better to stick to the truth because “a lie keeps growing and growing until it’s as plain as the nose on your face”.

8.  Don’t give up on those you love.

When Pinocchio runs into trouble, Jiminy abandons him for a period of time before eventually going to his aid.  If Jiminy did not come to his senses, Pinocchio would have ended up living a dark and dreary life.  Even though there are times when our loved ones do something that is unwise and goes against what everyone around them says, we still cannot give up on them.  Sometimes, it is just our love, loyalty, and presence that will help a love one through a difficult time.

9.  You have to work for the things you want.

Even though the Blue Fairy gives Pinocchio the gift of life, she does not turn him into a real boy.  In order for this to happen, Pinocchio has to prove that he is worthy of this by being brave, truthful, and unselfish.  From getting good grades to getting your dream job, no one is going to give it to you.  For all the things you want in life, you have to work hard and earn them.

10.  It’s never too late to do the right thing.

Pinocchio spends most of the film getting himself in and out of trouble, making his chances of becoming a real boy appear very bleak.  But by the end, Pinocchio learns his lesson and goes on a journey to rescue his father from Monstro the Whale.  Despite all of the poor decisions Pinocchio makes throughout the movie, he eventually does the right thing, saves his father, and earns the right to be a real boy.  This goes to show that even if you have spent a lot of time making poor choices, it is never too late to do the right thing and make up for your mistakes.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything you think I missed and, until next time, stay magical!

Rachel is a sophomore History Major and Women's Studies Minor hailing from Seneca Falls, NY. Her hobbies include reading, writing, spending time with friends, and spending more time than is humanly possible watching the TV show Once Upon a Time and reading/writing fan fiction. Her life goals include writing something that will later become famous and working as an important person at an important place.