Let’s Talk About Vermont: Growing Up Out Of State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Dear New Yorkers,

The next time in class when the professor asks us to introduce ourselves and to say where we are from, get ready to turn your head toward me when I don’t continue the New York streak. Yes, I will always be the only one who says Vermont. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind being the outsider BUT it’s the questions following up that make this article so easy to write. Join my friends and embrace my “nationality” (as they swear Vermont is in its own little world) and joke about the little quirks of being a Vermonter. “How does it feel to have constant WiFi now Julia? You don’t know what that is? It’s because you are from Vermont!” As much as they think they are only joking, sometimes they are actually right! Of course, I know what WiFi is, but here are a few common questions you may have if you are unfamiliar with the Green Mountain State.  

“Did you ski/snowboard growing up?”

Image Source

Yes, I have skied/snowboarded before, but no, I am not a pro.

“Do you pour maple syrup on everything?”

Image Source

Yes, I only use Vermont maple syrup, but I know Vermonters who favor Aunt Jemima’s.

“Do cows outnumber people?”

Image Source

Yes, I do live across from a farm with cows, but I also have human neighbors too.

“Why do you talk so weird?”

Image by author

I pronounce Vermont, VER-MON, and Mountain, MOUN-IN, but I can speak properly too.

“Is everyone a hippie near you?”

Image by author

Define hippie? Peace, love and wacky tobaccy? 

“Do you drive a Subaru?”

Image Source

Haha, no, I drive a Chevy. But my father owns two and swears they are the best for snow.

“What do you do for fun?”

Image by author

EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO! But I guarantee we have more fun doing it.

Now, not all of Vermont is trees, cows and dirt roads. There are places like Burlington, Vermont that are more city-like, but that is an exception compared to the small town of Shaftsbury that I grew up in.

My experience is MUCH like the stereotypes. My parents have green thumbs and grow a majority of what we eat and we have obnoxious chickens that run around my yard. No, we do not have cable, but Netflix keeps me updated with the time period.

Everyone knows everyone in my town, and I always had to ask my mother if I was related to the boy I was considering dating. I love to hike and go muddin’, but I am also what they call a girly girl too.

My dad crafts his own beer, and Ben and Jerry’s is my SAVIOR during the stressful times of being a college student.

I do a lot of online shopping because there are not making shopping centers near me, but there are amazing family -un shops that have unique gifts and locally made foods.

The last thing I will say is, Vermonters embrace ALL of the stereotypes and, believe me, there are many more that I did not even include! But no matter what I am asked, I am so proud and thankful for my state and the lifestyle I was raised in.

And the next time a New Yorker asks me, “What is a creemee?” I’ll respond, “Well, what is a pie?”

Sincerely,

The Vermonter

Julia Parks is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.