photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Being apart of the community living staff of Siena College is a commitment. Many people don’t really think of applying to be a Community Assistant (CA), but if you enjoy helping other students fulfill their best college experience then this may be the job for you. Joshua Farrell has been a CA for the freshman since September 2019 and here is some of his advice and thoughts on the job. 

Her Campus Siena: What are you main duties?

Joshua Farrell: On a daily bases I build a community and create an atmosphere that is comfortable for my residents. I also plan events and programs to help residents interact with each other. 

CA chats occur twice a semester, this is where we develop a connection with residents on a one on one basis. [We use] bulletin boards to give info on what is happening on campus. Go on duty to ensure safety of building and residents which includes going on rounds. Rounds are where we check the bathrooms, elevator and hallways every hour which not only ensures safety but, we get to interact with our residents as well.

[We] go to inservice where all community living staff meets once a month to give updates on changes within community living or new resources on campus to share with public.

Take care of conducts while on a rounds, and if there are any residents in violation of Siena College’s policies, then it is our job to document and report the incident to the Office of Community. Image by Author

HCS: What types of programs do you hold?

JF: Usually we hold social events in the hall or lobby of building for example: ice cream social, paint and sip, and watch parties where I play a movie or a show finale to get everyone from my building together. There are also collaborative events where I work with other groups or clubs on campus to get students out of the dorms and be active in the community

HCS: How do you apply to be a CA?

JF: An email will be sent out if you are interested to attend an info session either in the winter or the beginning of spring semester. A reccommendation letter from CA or community living person is required. Application filled out by careeer center for development.

Interview is 2 steps

1. Individual 

2. Group processing- split into groups to see how they work as a member of a team

HCS: Advice for someone who wants to be a CA?

JF: Be yourself throughout the application process because what is unique about you is what they will see as a great addition to the community living team

HCS: How does it affect your life?

JF: It enhanced my time management and organization skills, helped my communication skills and abilities, helped me develop being a good team member. Less free time, but happy because I am making an impact on people’s daily lives

This job also forces me to practice selfcare because I am like in a fishbowl where everyone knows I’m a CA, and everyone knows that you are accountable for whatever situation that occurs and always on duty as a resource for students on campus

Gif Source

There are many CA’s on campus that are most likely willing to talk to you about whether or not this is the right choice for you. They can also even discuss what it is like as a CA to give you some more insight. 

Sophie Eisenbach is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Biochemistry during her time at Siena.