How to Get Your Life Together Before 2nd Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Let’s be real: we all could use a fresh start for next semester. Whether you had a really great 1st semester this year or not, you will of course still be starting all new classes and face new challenges as the spring semester starts. Here’s a (much needed) step-by-step guide to getting our stuff together before diving into next semester.

1.       Relax.

This might be obvious, but take some time to do absolutely nothing over winter break. Chances are, you didn’t have time for that while you were at school (and if you did, you must be doing something wrong). So, over the holidays make sure to spend some time with friends and family, watch movies, or take a bubble bath (heck, treat yo self and buy a bath bomb). This is a good time to set aside (or completely forget) any stressors or problems you had while at school and to focus on more positive things.

2.       Organize.

By the end of the fall semester, it’s pretty likely your room, your notes, and probably other aspects of your life will have gotten pretty messy. While you pack up to leave for break, take some time to really deep clean your room (yes, I mean take out that vacuum for the first time). Put everything back where it belongs, throw out any junk you don’t need, wash your bedsheets and your clothes, and make it nice for when you return. Take all of your notes and organize them neatly into binders, and either bring them home to store away or put them neatly someplace that you can go find them again if you need to.

3.       Plan.

Start thinking about your plan for the next semester. Write down some goals for yourself and things you want to achieve in that time; maybe this includes getting certain grades, following a new year’s resolution, or taking up a new opportunity. Make yourself a long-term schedule, write down important dates in your calendar. Go through all of your syllabuses and write down when every single little thing is due (I know, cringe, but it has to be done), and set reminders in your phone to start studying a week before a test. Make yourself short-term schedules, breaking your day down hour by hour into class time, study time, club times, gym time, and whatever else is important to you. If you stick to it, you’ll be able to make time for relaxing too.

4.       Dress to impress.

I know that looks aren’t everything, but I feel so much better about myself when I’m dressed well. And let’s face it, all of us shamefully dragged ourselves out of finals week with sweatpants, messy buns and bags under our eyes. Take some time to put together some nice outfits for the start of the semester that make you feel put together. We all know you took advantage of holiday sales and that money your aunt sent you in a holiday card and bought some things for yourself. Even if you only have time to really put effort into your outfits for the first week of school, it will be a good impression on any new people you meet in your classes.

Emma Burkard is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Writing and Communications.