This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As many of you know, dealing with an ex can be extremely awkward. Having to handle all of the emotion, acceptance, and life rebuilding can add an immense amount of stress on a person. It can be even more awkward when you are trying to move on and attend a small school with the person that you used to love. It can seem normal to try to convince yourself that this break-up is just the same as any other and that the emotions you have are just residual feelings that are making you freak out. However, the truth of it is that breaking up in a small school is completely different than breaking up with some distance.

It is important to remember that seeing your ex is not something that you could usually avoid. Although pretending to ignore your ex seems like a pretty decent approach, it can often leave you feeling bitter throughout the day. This is why it is important to say positive acclamations about yourself whenever you see your ex on campus. The goal is to feel just as positive after seeing your ex, as you did prior to seeing them. Practicing positive acclamations is an extremely helpful tool for dealing with the anxiety of a post break-up.

Chances are that you will have to interact with your ex, at least at some level. The best way to approach this is by practicing what and how you will say to them, when you have to gain contact. Practice balancing your mood in conversation with them, that way when something is upsetting, you can control how you react to the situation and how you handle it.

No one should have to be around someone that they do not like, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Practicing calming strategies, taking time for you, and learning how to be comfortable in uncomfortable predicaments are some great techniques to help move on from your ex in a small school.