This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

A conservatorship is when a court appoints someone to manage an incapacitated person or a minor’s financial and personal affairs. This court-appointed individual has access to the conservatee’s money, makes medical decisions for the conservatee, can decide where the conservatee lives, and many other important life decisions. This is because the conservatee was deemed incapable of doing those things by the court. For the past 13 years, pop legend Britney Spears has been under a conservatorship and has been controlled by her father- Jamie Spears. 

So what happened? 

After a spiraling year of divorce from Kevin Federline, Federline filing for sole custody of their children, and the death of Britney’s close relative, Spears’ mental health started to decline greatly. 

Popularly known as Britney Spears’ Meltdown, she then shaved her head and attacked a paparazzo’s car with an umbrella. Within the same year, she also lost custody of both her children and dealt with much backlash from the public. 

In 2008, she was then placed under a 5150 hold. Basically what this means is that for 72 hours, a patient that is mentally challenged is detained and goes through mental evaluations. However, in Spears’ case, she was released less than 24 hours later after being deemed that she was well enough. Within the same month, she was again placed on 5150 hold. During this second hold, she was immediately placed under an emergency conservatorship. She was not given the 5 days notice as stated under the law, and was not able to hire a lawyer.

Just one month after being placed under the conservatorship, Britney returns to work where she appears on How I Met Your Mother and also announces and holds a tour promoting her album, “Circus.”

For about 8 years, Britney continued to release albums, perform, appeared as a judge on The X Factor, and held a residency in Las Vegas for Britney: Piece of Me. 

However, in 2019, she canceled her new residency, Domination, just a month before it began. 

This is when #FREEBRITNEY movement begins. 

Fans began speculating and grew more and more concerned about Britney’s well-being because after her post canceling the residency, she remained inactive on Instagram for three months. It later was revealed that she had checked into a mental facility. 

Later in 2019, Britney had her conservatorship case reopened to evaluate, and it has been evergoing since then. Many documentaries have been produced since then as well, to raise awareness of the ongoing situation Britney Spears has been in. With growing attention on this situation, the #FreeBritneyArmy has also grown.

All over the country, rallies gather on the days of Britney’s court hearings. They spread awareness of conservatorship abuse that happens in the United States while also rallying in support of freeing Britney. Those who are a part of the #FreeBritneyLA are able to stand outside the courthouse and chant and also receive updates on what happens on the inside of the court. 

Back in June of 2021, Britney spoke in court on the conservatorship for the first time in two years. She speaks on the abuse she has been through over the past 13 years and is quoted with saying “I just want my life back.” Most recently, on September 29th 2021, LA Court had suspended Jamie Spears from being Britney’s conservator. 

The next court date is scheduled for November 12 2021, where it will be discussed whether or not the conservatorship will be terminated as a whole.