Everything You Need to Know About Pearl Palooza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s almost time for the coolest annual music event in Albany, PEARLPALOOZA! If you haven’t been to Pearlpalooza or even heard of it before, here’s a the ultimate guide.

What is it: Pearlpalooza is a concert series run by a popular Alternative radio station in/around Albany called WEQX. So, if you’re a huge WEQX fan, or a fan of indie/alternative rock music this is a can’t miss event. They close down North Pearl street in Albany every year for a day and set up a stage and various vendors for crowds of people to listen to the music and have a great time… for FREE! The atmosphere is so cool and is a great experience for the people of Albany to come together, with all different kinds of food and beer available too.

When is it: This Saturday, September 17th, from 1:00 pm- 8:00 pm (Don’t worry if you’re just finding out about it now and it’s kind of late, since it’s a free event you can just show up there whenever!) If you make it to any part, I highly reccommend going later in the evening because it’s a lot more fun and when the headliners will be playing.

Where is it: If you aren’t from around here or aren’t familiar to the Albany area, no worries, North Pearl Street is less than 10 minutes away and a pretty easy drive. If you’ve been to any of Siena’s basketball games before, the Times Union Center where they play is actually on Pearl Street! Pearl street is known for its cool hipster bars and restaurants, so if you can’t make it to Pearlpalooza I highly reccomend going there some other time and check it out!

Who’s playing: The line up for this year goes as follows:

6-8pm Galactic (check out their song Into the Deep) 5-5:45pm Warpaint (check out New Song) 4-4:45pm Bassh (check out Body) 3-3:45pm Maybird (check out Turning into Water, love this song!) 2-2:45pm The Greeting Committee (check out Hands Down, also a great song) 1-1:45pm Rechorduroys (I honestly don’t really know them)

Pro Tip: The Griswolds (check out Out of My Head, Beware the Dog) will also be holding an “after party” show at the Hollow at 9:30 pm, which is a really cool bar/restaurant concert venue that I love. You do have to buy tickets for it (available on WEQX’s website for about $12), but the band is really great and the venue is really worth checking out. 

(now what you’ve really all been wondering): What do I wear?! Here are some pictures of my favorite “festival” style outfits that would be perfect for the occassion. It’s not going to be too warm this day, especially at night, so you can always sub shorts for jeans or add a cardigan or denim jacket!

Emma Burkard is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Writing and Communications.