Different Dialects of Siena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Being a Long Islander in the Capital Region means that I’m instantly someone who “talks funny.” If you’re from the New York City/Long Island area, I’m sure you’ve encountered this phrase before from any non-Long Islander: “Hey, can you say ‘coffee’ for me?”

I’ve accepted that the way Long Islanders pronounce certain words is not necessarily the “correct” way to speak. However, I’ve listed three words and analyzed them as unbiasedly as I possibly can — which, in hindsight, is still pretty biased — and decided which word or pronunciation is the most “correct.”

Round 1: Jimmies vs. Sprinkles

Who is Jimmy and why is this poor man being thrown on top of ice cream? Or is this Jimmy guy being sprinkled on top of ice cream? How about we leave this innocent guy alone and sprinkle sprinkles on top of the ice cream?

Round 1 Winner: Sprinkles

Round 2: Subs vs. Heroes

If I’m craving some chicken parm, I order it on a hero, not a sub. Chicken parm is an epic dish, and is quite honestly somewhat LEGEN – WAIT FOR IT – DARY. You see, taking chicken and breading and frying it, and then putting marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese on top makes for a top-notch dish. If there were such a thing as an “Epic-meter,” chicken parm would nearly break the scale. Thus, if you are going to place it on Italian bread, the bread aspect of the name needs to be of equal stature. Hence, chicken parm on Italian bread should only ever be called a chicken parm hero.

Round 2 Winner: Hero

Round 3: Radiator vs. Radiator

Yes, I understand that I wrote “radiator” twice. I have heard “radiator” pronounced two different ways: RAD-ee-ay-tor and ray-dee-ay-tor. Throughout the 18 years of my life living on Long Island, I have only heard it pronounced the first way, “RAD-ee-ay-tor.” Since leaving the island, everyone I encounter who isn’t cursed/blessed with the super thick Long Island accent like myself pronounces it as “ray-dee-ay-tor.” After pondering the function of a radiator, I realized that the second pronunciation does make more sense. A radiator’s chief purpose is to give off heat or radiate heat. So, it’s pretty understandable that it would be said as “ray-dee-ay-tor”.

Round 3 Winner: Radiator (ray-dee-ay-tor)

Although I find myself constantly being mocked for the way I say “coffee” or “chocolate,” I wouldn’t change it for the world. Experiencing different people from different backgrounds and getting to see and hear about life from their points of view is pretty incredible. It makes all of us more experienced individuals, and it can even open our eyes and change us for the better.

Kathryn Anderson is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Marketing during her time at Siena.