This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With Valentine’s Day being today, cute date ideas are on every couple’s minds. What are some fun things to do around Siena? Campus is near so many popular restaurants and there are plenty of activities to try in the Albany and Troy area, which would be fun to turn into a date.

Photo by Laula & Co on Unsplash
In Albany, there is an ice rink at the Empire State Plaza, about 17 minutes away from campus. Ice skating is an exciting date idea for active couples who enjoy the cold and being outdoors. The rink is open Monday-Friday 12-3:30pm and 4:30-8pm. During the weekend it is open 12-2pm, 3-5pm, and 6-8pm so there are plenty of times to choose from and every Saturday it is free to skate. For skate rentals, it’s $4 for adults and $3 for children 12 and under. Locker rentals are only 25¢ and there are refreshments for sale at the pavilion near the rink if you want some hot chocolate after the date. 

In Troy, there is a bowling alley called Uncle Sam Lanes, which is about 15 minutes away from school. If you’re someone who enjoys an active date, but hates the cold, then bowling is a great activity. Uncle Sam’s offers a variety of specials such as glow in the dark bowling, college, and dollar nights. There is also a bar/lounge area if you want to sit and talk with your date, plus a snack shop which sells pizza, pretzels, french fries, mozzarella sticks, and nachos. The bowling alley is open from the morning (9am, 10am, or 11am) until midnight on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 1am on Saturday, and until closing on Sunday and Thursday. 

If you’re more laid back and want a date where you don’t have to be as active, the movies are a perfect place to go. The Regal Colonie Center movie theatre is located in Albany and is only 13 minutes away. The seats are reserved so you don’t have to worry about getting to the movie early to get a good spot. The theatre offers a variety of snacks such as the classic blue icees and butter popcorn, along with some unique options such as cheeto and flaming hot cheeto flavored popcorn. Currently, the movies playing there include Birds of Prey, Gretel & Hansel, The Turning, Badboys for Life, and Dolittle so you can choose from action, horror, comedy, and adventure. Another benefit about this theatre is that it’s located at the mall so if you want to shop around after you can. There are also a ton of restaurants as well, such as P.F. Changs and the Cheesecake Factory. 

Felicity Warner / HCM
As far as restaurants, La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant is a great choice and is located 13 minutes away from campus in Albany. While it may not be fancy, it has great food and a fun atmosphere. They have good deals and if you’re 21, margaritas are half off on Thursdays. Something different they offer is a waiter walks around and makes fresh guacamole right for the table. For dessert they also have amazing homemade churros and mexican hot chocolate. It is definitely worth a visit. 

Definitely try out these places on your next date! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Katie Molinari is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.