This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Caitlin Whelan

Year: 2016

Major: Psychology

Minor: Health Studies

This ambitious junior not only grew up looking up to super heroes but aspires to be a real life version of one. Every goal she sets for herself is one so carefully planned that every college student should aspire to be like her. From the minute she set foot on Siena’s campus she has been successful at everything she sets her mind to from becoming a beloved RA to Albany’s 2014 Tulip Queen and I have no doubt she will become a great criminal justice lawyer with quite possibly an OT practice on the side when she gets bored. The comic book stands better look out because you have a new wonder woman on your hands…just as soon as she graduates!

Q: What do you hope to do after graduation?

A: I aspire to practice law after graduation (after getting into law school and passing the bar, of course!). The main goal would be to particularly be focused on criminal law.

Q: Psychology? That’s not usually the traditional route to criminal law…what made you go with psychology as your major?

A: Originally, I wanted to do Occupational Therapy so psychology made sense because it fulfilled most of the prerequisites needed. Then I added in the minor in health studies since I was entering a health profession so why not? But literally in the last few weeks I’ve changed my mind to law so then I figured I already have most of the major/minor done & with that being said I’m keeping my major and minor so that I can keep my OT prerequisites in case I ever want to return to my original plan later in life. However, I do plan on going to law school after graduation but with a safety plan in my back pocket just in case.

Q: But law school? How did you jump from OT to criminal law?

A: Well, as a kid, I grew up reading comic books (probably Spider-Man) with my father and I always looked up to these heroes in admiration wanting to make a difference to my community the way they did. I always had an interest in criminal and social justice, especially since my father was a police officer in the field but I could never figure out how to apply my interests. So I decided on OT, since I could give back to my community that way but it wasn’t until recently that I figured out that I could help in a different way and my mind immediately went back to my love for social justice. After several conversations with my father I figured out how I could apply my passions through law.

Q: Tell us more about what it means to be the 2014 Albany Tulip Queen.  

A: I reign as Tulip Queen until the next Tulip Queen is crowned in May during Tulip Fest. The Tulip Court which is comprised of 5 young women, 4 being Tulip court members and last being Tulip Queen. The “Tulips” serve as ambassadors for the city of Albany for the entire year where their presence to a large number of city sponsored/service events is required. Every year it is the Tulips’ big project to help further the work of Mayor Sheehan’s literacy campaign. Throughout the year they work to bring literacy programs to a variety of city schools in the city of Albany.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: I would love to see myself established in a successful law career. I would also hope to still be doing community service work like I have been doing through the Tulip Queen program.