Bracing for the Upstate NY Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

If there’s anything Upstate NY does better than anyone, it’s handling winters. If you didn’t grow up here, then you don’t know the weather you will be enduring during the winters, especially if you are from Arizona. Here are some things that will help you with bracing the upstate winter.

1. Snow days are extremely hard to get unless there’s no way to move the buses safely on the roads, and it’s even harder once you get into college.

2. Your typical basic girl go to outfit.

Unless it is like a blizzard. Then, bundle up.

3. Snow is EVERYWHERE.

There will be snow in your shoes, your socks, all over your room, under your desk, probably in your hair and coffee as well. Snow will just pop up out of nowhere basically.

4. Driving is a challenge, and you literally won’t be able to even.

50% of the people can drive like pros in the snow, and the other half act as if this it is their first day on the road every day.

5. Hibernation is real.

Long naps and binge watching Netflix with no shame.

6. The cold, however, has its perks.

The cold weather means longer cuddles and naps with your dog or significant other.

7. Going anywhere to run errands is like an adventure.

8. Hot beverages are the key to staying warm.

Hot coffees or hot cocoas from DD, Starbucks, Tim Horton’s, Stewart’s or anywhere else are kind of like portable little heating drinks; just holding the beverage can keep you warm inside until you drink it all.

9. Another perfect warming device – INFINITY SCARVES.

10. Moisturize!

Winter is the season of horrible, dry, itchy skin :(

Good luck and a have nice warm winter! :)

Katey Kohler is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time at Siena.