Best Reading Spots on Siena’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Sometimes I feel like a “bad” English major because during the semester, I rarely have free time to read. Usually, I’m making my way through a textbook for class or a novel that I’ll have to analyze in a paper, instead of a book I get to choose myself. When I do get free time to read, though, Stephen King is easily my first choice.

Everyone’s book tastes differ, though, so the spots you like to read might depend on your favorite genre. If you like thrillers or horror, you might like to read alone and in a secluded spot. If you like Young Adult/YA fiction, you might want to read in a public place. Or if you’re working on school work, you might want to work in an empty classroom or academic setting. Where you read can really influence the way you read and how a book makes you feel. But all the reading I have to do for my major has allowed me to narrow down some of the best reading spots on Siena’s campus!

Couches inside Casey’s

Some people like background noise to help them focus, and the pleasant chatter in Casey’s can provide the perfect volume level to read. Casey’s has big comfortable couches, so grab a latte and curl up with a good book!

Kiernan Hall’s second floor

You might not have been up there yet if you’re not an English major, but Kiernan Hall’s unique layout has some cozy nooks for reading. Both ends of the hallway have a set of plush chairs by the windows, so you have a nice view while you’re focusing on your work. It’s also a fairly quiet spot if you like silence while reading.

Dorm building lounges

This one depends on which building you live in, but the lounges are usually a good place to get work done. The couches are good spots to settle in and catch up on the new John Green book you’ve been waiting to read or crack open your psychology textbook.The lounges vary in volume depending on which building you live in and how many people are in there, so know what conditions you can focus under the best!

A blanket on the quad 

Once the temperature rises above 60 degrees, Siena students flock to the quad to soak in the sunshine while working on homework, which makes it a great spot to read. It’s obviously a seasonal reading spot because the weather in Upstate New York can be temperamental, but bringing a blanket outside to lay in the sun and read is one of my favorite things to do. It’s very relaxing and enjoyable, even if you’re struggling your way through another Shakespeare play.

Empty classrooms

When the classrooms are empty, sometimes it’s the best spot to do work, especially if it’s reading a textbook or novel for a class. Because you’ll be sitting in a desk chair or table, it can even help you along in getting academic work done because it feels like you’re in class! You’ll have room to spread out, especially if you need to take notes on what you’re reading, and it’s also a quiet spot to read.

Fire pit outside the Sarazen Student Union

Depending on the weather and season, the fire pit outside the SSU can be a great spot to read. Those giant chairs are perfect for sinking back and kicking your feet up. It’s also right outside Casey’s, so you can grab a coffee or wrap to eat while you work!

McNaughton section in the library

Since the library stacks are primarily dedicated to scholarly research and texts, the Standish library provides a section specifically for fun, fictional reads that are loaned out from other libraries. Known as the McNaughton section, this spot is located just past the circulation desk! You can ask a student worker if you need help finding it. There are shelves of popular books available for checkout and two comfortable couches to sink into while you read.

Your dorm room

It might be silly to say, but sometimes when my roommates are all out, the best spot to read is in my own bed. You can make a cup of tea or coffee, snuggle up in your blankets, and read Milk and Honey for the fourth time. Sometimes the quiet of your room and the comfort of your bed is the perfect combination to get some reading done.  

Where you choose to read depends on what you’re reading and how you work around other people. If you don’t like background noise, some of the spots on the list might not work for you as well as others, so make sure you consider what works for you! Happy reading!

Thumbnail source

Emily Rhoades is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English with a minor in Writing and Communications.