The Best Part About Having a Boyfriend in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Many people say that college is a time to focus on yourself, to not have to worry about taking care of anyone else. There is a certain, weird image that is associated with those who decide to have a relationship in college because many believe that there will always be time for love after graduation. But I believe that if you truly find that one person that makes you over the moon happy and who makes you want to be a better person, then you should go for it!

I have been with my current boyfriend for over two and a half years, and I have been confronted with many comments from both friends and family as to why I felt the desire to date a boy from Long Island within the first few months of moving to Siena. They thought that I needed to focus on making friends and getting A’s in all of my classes. I have done both of those things, but I have been lucky enough to meet a man along the way who brings the best out of me and has made me feel more loved and beautiful that anyone else ever has.  

The best part about having a boyfriend in college is being in love with your best friend. I have my girlfriends in my life, whom I love dearly, but my boyfriend is one of the very few people who knows everything about me. He has been there for me through everything since the day we met and when I’m sad or upset about something, he always seems to know exactly what to say to make me feel better. We talk about anything and everything, and I know I can be myself completely in front of him. He has never judged me for anything and truly loves me for who I am. Some people say that I may be “missing out on college life,” but I couldn’t disagree with this more. I get to spend my college days with my best friend and the guy I love – what could be better than that?

If you’re in college and you find yourself in a relationship or wanting to be in a relationship with someone, go for it! The right person will come around once in a blue moon and there’s nothing wrong with wanting to take a leap of faith to be with that person you love. I took that leap when I met my boyfriend and I truly couldn’t be happier.

Julia Lowney is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Marketing and Writing and Communications.