Best Apps for Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

If you’re studying abroad in the upcoming fall or even the spring it can be quite nerve-wracking. Luckily for you, I have searched high and low for five of the best apps you need for your trip.

Language

Duolingo: If you’re like me and you’re about to spend four months in a country where you don’t know any of the language than I recommend this app. This app makes you practice your new home’s language for 20 minutes. This is probably going to be a lifesaver because now I know how to ask where the bathroom is.

Tip: Download it for the summer so you can start practicing right away!

Google Translate: It is amazing how much technology has changed and this is in that category. With Google Translate you can actually put your phone’s camera screen over a document and figure out what it says. I actually did this to my acceptance letter to Italy.

Tip: Try practicing with this feature before going abroad. I did it to random Italian words on the Internet.

Travel

Kayak: This app helps you find the cheapest flights, hotels, and cars in the area you are in or what to go. This will come in handy when you’re trying to fly to Greece or Spain!

Citymapper: This app gives you all of the bus, bike, subway, rail, and ferry schedules and routs all at your fingertips! How crazy is that! It is perfect for wherever you are not even in a foreign country!

Field Trip: If you’re interested in seeing where interesting architecture, historical places and events, museums, and close food places are this app is for you. This app shows you all of these things on a map so you can see which things are close to you and where you want to go.

Logan is a senior English major with a Writing minor at Siena College. In her spare time, she writes for both Her Campus Siena and her own blog The Peculiar Porter. This spring she is heartbroken to graduate but knows eventually she'll have to enter the real world. She loves Mexican food, has a weird obsession with cacti and candles, and enjoys traveling to quirky places. You can follow her on twitter or Instagram (@thepeculiarporter) to get a glimpse into her life.