This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Being a teenage girl who is in college and actually liking basketball is usually considered odd. Many girls today have a reputation of not enjoying professional or college basketball, and there is a stigma that they are not aware of what actually happens during a game. Most people think girls only follow basketball for the good looking guys and sometimes yes, that may be the case sometimes (aka Jayson Tatum). Once you really learn about basketball and have some knowledge on the game, it is actually pretty fun. My favorite part of being a girl who knows about basketball is surprising people with my knowledge. I know how to play 2K and have given many guys a run for their money while playing against them. I also follow all NBA teams and get all the updates. My personal favorite team is the Boston Celtics. Last year I got to attend my first ever NBA game, and it was probably one of the best nights of my life.

Image Source

I am in my second year at Siena College, and we have a division one basketball team (you already know I go to all the home games). Basketball season, whether it’s the NBA or college is my favorite season. I love cheering on my team, even though half the time I’m yelling at them as if I can go out there and play with them. I get a lot of looks for screaming and some looks just because I actually understand what’s going on. Going to these games also gives me a good break from schoolwork, and they are just exciting to watch. Yes, I am a girl who loves basketball – who probably knows just as much as a guy, if not more about this sport.

Image by Author

One of my favorite things about Siena is the amount of intramurals we have on campus. Last year I was on an intramural basketball team and it was the best experience. I am only 4’11, but I can still shoot and defend. Many people would give me open looks, or make it easier on me just because of my size. Obviously, I take advantage of that. I am a decent player, surprisingly better on the defensive side (even though it’s still a work in progress). This year I am planning on playing again and am hoping more girls show up and get involved. This reputation that surrounds us needs to go away because I know there are other girls out there who have a passion for basketball, just like me.

If you are interested in learning a little more about the basics of basketball, I included some information about it below.

The Basics of Basketball:

• Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Springfield, Massachusetts
  • Positions
    • Point Guard
    • Center
    • Wing/Small forward
  • Types of Fouls
    • Personal
    • Technical
    • Flagrant
    • Team Foul
  • Scoring System
    • Foul shot=1 point
    • Inside 3 point line= 2 points
    • Outside 3 point line= 3 points

Girls can actually like basketball and know what is going on. It may seem weird to some people that girls know what is going on during basketball, but more times often than not, they know what they are talking about. Basketball has such a reputation today where its only a guys sport, but that reputation is changing. Go on TV, flip through some channels and basketball will sure enough be on. I know I will be watching, the season has just begun and us girls are ready.

Alexandra Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing with a Concentration in Digital Marketing and Marketing Communications.