timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Step Out of Your Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

A frequent lifestyle change that many people want to make is to step out of their comfort zone. Easier said than done, when this is attempted many people don’t quite know how to do it and face a significant amount of nerves. But don’t quit there, because stepping out of your comfort zone is a great way to find passion in new things, meet new people, or learn something. Here are five simple ways to step out of your comfort zone.

1. Learn a New Language

Image Source

As someone who has been learning Spanish as a second language for almost seven years, I can attest to the fact that this is a great way to step out of your comfort zone. Every time I speak I step out of my comfort zone, hoping that I don’t mispronounce a word or forget how to say a phrase. Learning a new language is a humbling experience that takes tons of commitment. Although it is difficult, it is definitely worth it! 

2. Join a Club

Image Source

Joining a club is a great way to step out of your comfort zone because you never fully know what to expect. It is also a great way to find something you enjoy and meet new people! For me, joining a club during my first semester at college was very intimidating, but being a part of Her Campus has allowed me to meet awesome people and find an enjoyment for writing.

3. Talk to Someone New

Image Source

Talking to someone new may seem a bit intimidating, but it is very beneficial! As a freshman in college, I am constantly talking to someone new as I am meeting more professors and students at my school. If I hadn’t stepped out of my comfort zone and talked to someone new, I would not have been able to meet some of my best friends today! Meeting new people is a great way to make positive connections, improve communication skills, and strengthen your support system. What can get better than that? 

4. Do Something by Yourself

Image Source

I used have a fear of doing things by myself, but after overcoming this fear, alone time is honestly something I enjoy. Whether it be exercising, doing work, or meditating, having time to yourself is a great way to recharge your brain, boost your confidence, and be more productive. It may feel awkward at first, but it is definitely worth it! 

5. Try a New Style

Image Source

Most of us have styles we would love to try but are worried about what people will think, which is exactly why trying a new style is a great way to step out of your comfort zone. Whether it be trying a new hairstyle, doing a full glam makeup look, or switching out your day to day wear for something different, definitely go for it!

Samantha Welsher is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Mathematics during her time at Siena.