The 5 Steps to the Perfect Spring Break Getaway!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Now that the spring semester is in full swing, students are left wondering “When is our next break?” Believe it or not that next semi-long break from school is a month away and that’s right it’s SPRING BREAK!

With only a month until Spring Break, you’re already super late to the planning game so here are 5 steps you need to take in order to have yourself sunbathing on a beach 2,000 miles away sipping on a cocktail (if your age permits that…but honestly island getaway usually means 18+ drinking laws).

1. Your roommate, your suitemates, the “gang”, your high school besties? Doesn’t matter who you choose to plan the trip with, but it is necessary to assemble the ideal “Spring Break Crew” before any planning actually gets done. So start thinking about who you can really picture yourself vacationing with for a week. 

2. As the saying goes, “Nothing in life comes free” and Spring Break is no exception. If you want to blow off steam on some exotic island then you need to Bust open that savings money piggy bank because this trip will not come cheap (perhaps you can plan it at a reasonable cost but let’s be honest…it will not be as cheap as spending your spring break on your couch watching Netflix). When planning your spring break keep in mind that for most places you will need a safety deposit the second you book your trip!

3. Just like in the real estate business, location can make or break your dream vacation this spring so keep this mantra in your head as you debate destinations with your friends. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!  So what are some of the destinations that you should consider? The Bahamas, Cancun, Cabo, the Dominican Republic, Panama City, or how about Jamaica?

4. Now here comes the tough part, it’s time to take action! Daydreaming about your picture-perfect Spring Break trip will only get you so far. The most important step to making this trip come to life is all in the Research! Get all your friends (those coming on the trip, obviously!) and start your search for flights, resorts (if you can afford that), spring break packages, or cruises (whatever floats your boat). Take advantage of websites like:

1. www.flights.google.com
  2. www.hotels.com
  3. www.tripadvisor.com
  4. www.studentcity.com

5. Flight? Check. Resort? Check. Safety Deposit? Check. Parent Approved? Check. Finally, no more sleepless nights debating all-inclusive vs. cheap hotel or Cancun vs. the D.R. Everything has been booked and paid for which leaves you with the final step…the LOOSE ENDS! What am I talking about? Well, now that the hard part is over, it’s time to have a little fun. Get your Spring Break crew together and go shopping for new swimsuits, tanning oil, sunglasses, and flip-flops! Go online and look up clubs (for dancing the night away), bars (for all the responsible drinking that you’ll do), and restaurants (for when you get tired of living off of bar peanuts).