Why Every Girl in Their Early 20’s Should Watch Miss America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

“To all the ladies in the place with style and grace…”

Whether you believe in the stigmas that surround the pageant world or not, you could learn a thing or two from watching the Miss America pageant.

As a local titleholder for the Miss America Organization for three years now, I may be biased. In fact, I know I am. But, I’m also not blind to the opinions of nay-sayers. Not all men turn on the pageant to check out hot babes in swimsuits nor do women to body shame the contestants. It is now, more than ever, a program that embodies and highlights the qualities and skills that today’s young women have.

Step aside Miley Cyrus, there’s a real role model in town!

1. Community Service: Since the 1940’s, the Miss America Organization has encouraged community service. From volunteering at your local soup kitchen to establishing unique community involvement programs, thousands of young women across the country have made a difference in the lives of others right in their back yard. A small contribution can mean a huge change – the more people you get involved. There are numerous ways to make a positive change in your neighborhood, sometimes you have to get a little creative. The benefit of helping others is far greater than any pat on the back or sparkly crown can provide you. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and help folks in need and NOT just for a resume booster!

2. Personal Platforms: In 1989, the organization paved the way for contestants to promote a platform personal to them. This means a cause or social issue that they feel passionate about. Once they are chosen, each titleholder dedicates their year of reign to spread the word about their platform and finds creative ways to raise funds and awareness. With social media, this has been easier than ever. Think of something you’re passionate about – empowering today’s youth, habitat for humanity, adoption – you name it! It’s something special to you. It doesn’t take a crown on your head to explore ways of bringing social change.

3. Embracing Your Body: OKAY. If you think strutting your stuff in a bikini for millions of people to see is the most horrifying thing a person could do, you’re right. And these women agree with you! It’s not about making others feel bad for not looking a certain way or giving in to the negative stereotypes that today’s media portrays. We live in a nation that has the highest rate of obesity and major health related issues. What’s wrong with promoting healthy habits? You can photoshop any photo to put in a magazine, but you can’t crop a live shot of a Miss America contestant who worked to achieve HER ideal view of health and well-being as well as her body shape.

Just the other night, Miss Florida 2016 – Mary Katherine Fechtel won the prelimiary lifestyle and fitness award. In an interview after the show, Mary Katherine ironically states her struggles as being TOO thin. “It’s just so funny because you can never be enough of one thing or another.” She later states in the same interviw, “There is never going to be an ideal body type; just be healthy, workout and eat right!”

4. Showcasing Talent: From vetriloquists to martial arts experts, the Miss America stage has seen its variety of talents. With this portion of competition counting for over a third of the overall score of the contestant, it’s a huge deal. Not to mention, an obvious reason to tune in! Again with expressing your passions in life, whatever it may be, you don’t have to have a stage and spotlight on you. The Miss America pageant promotes this! Grab your hairbrush and sing into the mirror, splash some paint on a canvas or dance like no one is watching – it’s your prerogative. Just do what you love!

5. Public Speaking: In a 2014 article by the Washington Post, a whopping 25% of Americans say public speaking is their worst fear – above that of heights, flying and drowning. Crazy – but not really at the same time. Speaking in front of people IS scary! AND no one wants to do it. Why? The answer is typically the same across the board – “I’m afraid of sounding/saying something ‘dumb’ and being scrutinized for it.”

The irony behind this statement is evident every year. It’s the same people who say this that are the first to repost the video of that one contestant who let her nerves get the better of her when asked a controversial question. It takes a lot to get up there and even take a stab at some of those ever-so-anticipated on-stage questions. It’s a lot of pressure.

What’s important to remember is that we are ALL human. We draw blanks, we get tongue-tied, we lose our train of thought. Do not beat yourself up over it. Take a moment, collect your thoughts and say it with pride! You are who you are regardless of what others think.

6. Raising Funds for the Children’s Miracle Network: In 2007, Miss America began a partnership with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Instead of an entry fee to a local or state pageant, contestants raise funds for hospitalized children across the nation and the Miss America Scholarship Fund. While the funds support the hospitals, thousands of children receive help in fighting illnesses with an occasional visit from titleholders themselves. It’s a team effort but not one that isn’t reaching out with open arms!

This month, CMN hospitals are promoting the Miracle Challenge. It’s a 27-day wellness challenge that encourages you to reach your fitness goals in conjunction with raising funds for your local CMN hospital. Lace up those running shoes and get moving! By bettering yourself, you can help save a life!

7. Promoting STEM: In today’s workforce, too often do men outnumber women in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics related careers. The Miss America organization aims to promote women to pursue their passions that fall within these categories of study. Female high school students shouldn’t be afraid to declare a STEM major because they fear being a needle in a haystack. Miss America highlights these passions by offering STEM specific scholarships in hopes to get more young women to pursue careers in these fields. WHO RUN THE WORLD?!

Take time out of your Sunday night from 9-11 and be inspired! Not to compete in a pageant, but to be the best version of yourself. You never know what kinds of things you might have in common with Miss America 2016!

…Plus, Vanessa Williams is a judge and if you don’t know why that’s outrageously awesome, check this out:

http://jezebel.com/miss-america-cant-wait-to-welcome-back-the-woman-they-d-1729347897

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole