Why April is the Worst Month Ever for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By Kaylee Beattie

You can literally feel summer getting closer and closer. The weather is warm, spring is in full bloom and you would give anything to finally be done with this semester. The only thing standing between you and summer break is, well… EVERYTHING! Not only are finals less than 2 weeks away, but you have 5 papers due, a project that HAS to be perfect and 3 exams that aren’t even finals!

April is a horrible, terrible, awful month for all college students across the country (and if you don’t agree, you are one lucky duck!) April is just a reminder of how close summer is… and how much stuff you HAVE NOT EVEN DONE YET for your biology class, plus your paper is due tomorrow and don’t forget that you have an exam next Monday. There is nothing worse than April.

So, how are students preventing ripping their hair out and melting into a ball of stress?

“I have to make a schedule. If I don’t write down absolutely everything I need to do, nothing will get done. Organization is key for me. It’s the only way I don’t lose track of my assignments and myself,” says Michal Monahan, a nursing major at HACC.

“I also try to fit in a quick workout everyday if I have time. Exercise is a great stress reliever for me and helps me take time to refocus and balance everything,” says Monahan.

Stress is ever-consuming for every student, every major, everywhere!

Art Education major and Shippensburg University student Allison Caudill says, “The best way I keep track of everything I need to do, which is a never-ending list, is to just handle one thing at a time. If I start over-thinking about how much I actually have to do, I get too stressed to even start one thing.”

She says, “I try to take time to go outside and just relax between assignments. If I finish a paper and try to dive right into studying, it won’t go well. So taking time to recollect my thoughts, calm down and figure out what I’m tackling next is key for me.”

April is officially more than half-way over, which means we are almost done with the spring semester and we can almost kiss this awful month GOODBYE! For some, this means graduation and for others it means just an amazing break away from school. Regardless, remember to stay organized, stay focused and know you can do it!

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole