Things I’ve Learned After Losing a Friend From a Car Accident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Things I’ve learned after losing a friend from a car accident

A few weeks ago I was checking Facebook in between classes and came to a shocking post on a group wall I was part of. My friend Meghan McKinney was involved in a 5-car accident and died suddenly. She was so young. She didn’t deserve to end her life yet. She had so many dreams left to fulfill.

I only knew Meghan for 3 weeks. We went on a CCO (Coalition for Christian Outreach) trip to India the summer of 2014 with a group of 6 other college students. She had a strong passion for helping the sick in the villages we visited and would continuously feed and pet stray dogs even when we told her not to. Meghan was a field hockey player at Slippery Rock University and was nicknamed “Wheels” for being so fast. Often when we hiked the Himalayas one of us would complain about how tired we were or how heavy our packs were but I don’t think I ever heard Meghan complain.

Now as the rose I received from her funeral is being to dry up, I’m better able to digest her death. It’s still hard seeing a young woman like Meghan die so soon but here’s some lessons I learned from her death:

• Always tell your loved ones you love them. You never know when will be the last time you see them and it is important to tell them daily how much they mean to you.

• Don’t be afraid to change your major or take a different path to pursue your dreams. Meghan originally was going to school for exercise science but soon changed it to physical therapy since she had such a strong passion for helping others. Find a major that really makes you happy every day and allows you to use your talents.

• Continually invest in relationships. When I arrived to Meghan’s funeral late (from getting lost in Biglerville) the church parking lot was packed. Countless people came to support her one last time. As each family member and friend spoke in front of the congregation I realized how much Meghan impacted their lives. Now I’m not saying to go and make a bazillion friends but make sure you keep a few close so that your funeral isn’t an empty room.

• Live in the now. While it’s easy to get caught up in your past memories, don’t forget to live in the now. Quit worrying about 5 weeks from now and just enjoy today. Not to be morbid or anything but who are you to say you are going to be here in 5 weeks anyway. So take a deep breath and enjoy the present more.

• YOLO. Remember that tacky saying? Well it’s true. You only live once. So don’t be afraid to get out there and do that thing you’ve always wanted to do. Be brave.

RIP Meghan McKinney (November 27, 1991- September 29, 2015)

Here’s the link to my photo as well:

http://funds.gfmcdn.com/6180990_fb_1443625394.4162_funds.jpg

I'm a Junior Communications Journalism major at Shippensburg. In my free time I like to run, read, watch Netflix and spend time with God.
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole