Rachel Snody, CBS 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Graduated: May 2012

Degree: B.A. Communication/Journalism, electronic media emphasis

Minor: Anthropology

Job: Content producer/web producer at CBS 21 News – WHP-TV

Favorite ice cream flavor: Chocolate chip cookie dough

Favorite place to eat in Ship: Knute’s

Rachel started college with dreams of becoming a physical therapy assistant, but after job shadowing decided it wasn’t the path for her.  After changing her major and getting involved with student media, Rachel found her true passion –and has been hooked ever since!

HC: What was your favorite class at Ship?
Rachel: Electronic news gathering

HC: Who was your favorite professor or mentor while at Ship?
Rachel: Dr. Kim Garris in the comm/journ department

HC: Were you involved with student media?
Rachel:  I was really involved with SUTV. I had a few different titles. I was news cast director, news director and reporting. I also interned at WGAL Channel 8.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about your job?
Rachel: Hearing other people’s stories. I like to know the stories behind things, learning a lot of different things and meeting a lot of different people. I love feeling the rush, I’m a breaking news person.

HC: What’s an unexpected part of your job, or something you don’t think people understand?
Rachel: I focus a lot on social media. Social media is a full-time job, a lot of people don’t think of it as that. I spend a lot of time updating the station’s Pinterest, Google +, Facebook and Twitter.

HC: What advice would you give to students who want to get into your field?
Rachel: Utilize campus media like SUTV, get experience and try a lot of different things. I definitely suggest interning; it shows what you want to do and what you don’t want to do, definitely do an internship.

Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.