Five Great TV Shows You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By: Mackenna Angert

There are tons of amazing TV shows out there. From Netflix to using the power of the DVR to HBO and Showtime, the amount of TV shows out there can be overwhelming. And deciding on which TV show to start watching can be just as stressful as deciding on which snack to eat while watching your favorite show.

Most of the time, the best TV shows out there are the tiny, unknown and fan driven shows. Before making the decision to make the commitment into a show, here are five great TV shows you should consider binge watching that you might not have heard of before.

1. Freaks and Geeks

Don’t let the title deceive you – this show is more than just a bunch of freaks and geeks trying to get through high school. Well, I guess that could be a quick summary, but with undeniably unique and loveable characters, stellar jokes and hilarious plot lines this show is a stand out above other coming of age high school dramas.

This show would be the start to great careers for many actors including the trio of comedy: James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Seigel. The show would also start the comedy writing of the superior, Judd Appatow. Unfortunately this show was cancelled after one season, but with the support of its fans the eighteen episodes won’t die anytime soon.

1. Peaky Blinders

Set in 1920’s Birmingham, England, this BBC original drama will make you question right and wrong and most certainly keep you on the edge of your seat. Telling the story of a family entrenched in the gang underworld that are expanding their illegal doings, while at the same time fighting back against rival gangs and avoiding the police.

Cillian Murphy, from The Dark Knight movies and Inception, leads the cast as Tommy Shelby. You will fall in love with him as he dangerously maneuvers his way to the top of the gangster world. Oscar nominee, Tom Hardy, joins the cast in season two adding to the strong force of acting. You’ll need to be prepared for more than just a story about a gangster rising to power. You will really be watching complex characters with huge twists and turns throughout each episode.

1. Orphan Black

Another BBC original, Orphan Black tells a completely different and unique storyline. In the beginning, you will believe you are watching the story of Sarah Manning. In the first two minutes of the show, Manning watches a woman that is identical to her kill herself and then she’ll steal the dead women’s identity. The story doesn’t end with Manning’s stolen identity for that is just the beginning of the true plot: clones.

You will follow the clones of Sarah, Alison, Helena, Coisma and Rachel all played by the same actress, Tatiana Maslany. Most of the time watching the show you will just be watching in complete wonder trying to figure out how one actress could play all these characters. Be prepared to keep up with the clones’ adventures while dealing with evil scientists, weird cults and constantly asking, “Where’s Paul?”

1. The Man in the High Castle

Do you ever wonder what would have happened if WWII ended differently? In this Amazon original based off the novel by Phillip K. Dick, that is preciously what happens. It follows the story of two characters, Juliana Crane and Joe Blake. Both are affected in many different ways by Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany and both want to find out who the man in the high castle is. His secretiveness and her heart will have you banging your head on the wall for answers.

Throughout the whole first season you will be constantly bewildered by the alternative history placed in front of you and if anyone can be trusted. Through stellar cinematography, acting and cliff hanging episodes by the end of the first season you’ll be so shocked you will want to watch the whole thing over again.

5. Animals.

Animals. isn’t like anything you’ve seen on TV. This sort of anthology series on HBO is an animated comedy that follows different sets of animals living in New York. The unique aspect of the show is that each episode follows animals that have very human-like qualities and do very human-like activities.

You’ll hear voices each episode that you may find very familiar with the show bringing in close to 50 guest stars throughout its first season. You can expect to see Aziz Ansari as a Neo-Nazi dog, Nathan Fielder as a sewer-rat club deejay named DJ Labrat, Adam Scott as a goose pretending to be a swan and many more. You’ll find yourself caring for these animals as they been have crafted to match our vulnerable hearts. This show is truly different and quirky in all the best ways.

Hello. My name is MacKenna Angert. I am 19 years old and attend Shippensburg University with a major in Communications/Journalism. I'm on the swim team and I like to write!
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole