Dining Services’ Brooke Hall Opens Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Title:  Assistant Director of Retail and Sustainability Coordinator for Dining ServicesAlma Mater: High Point UniversityDegree: B.A. in Studio ArtHometown:  Brevard, North CarolinaFavorite place on Ship’s campus: In the summer it’s nice to sit out in the quad for a break.

HC: What’s your favorite part of working for SU’s Dining Services?  BH: I like being in the middle of all of the action and interacting with the students. I also really like all of the people I work with on campus regardless of if they are part of dining services or not. The campus has a real tight knit family feel and I’ve had the opportunity to work with various campus departments on different projects all of which I have really enjoyed.

HC: What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about your job?BH: People would be surprised at how many different areas “retail” covers, from marketing, sustainability, merchandising and nutrition to ordering, scheduling and advising.

HC: Favorite Ship Dining menu item? BH: Fiesta Bowl at the Test Kitchen (CUB)

HC: How did your background in art lead to the job you have now?  BH: I had an internship with a Higher Education Food Service company doing graphic design my senior year of college.  After I graduated I was offered a full-time graphic design position with them and then moved into the role of Marketing Coordinator.  In 2010 I moved to Shippensburg from North Carolina to work with Chartwells as Shippensburg’s Marketing Director.  I was the Marketing Director at Ship for 3 years and wanted to expand the opportunities I had with Chartwells so I took a new position as assistant director of retail in 2013.

HC: Are you a Dunkin’ or Starbucks drinker?  BH: I like both.  Sweet Tea at Dunkin and Passion Tea Lemonade at Starbucks

HC:What’s something most people don’t know about you? BH: Most big decisions I’ve made in my life I’ve based mostly on the feeling I got in my gut in the moment and so far my intuition hasn’t led me astray.

Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.