8 Ways to Organize Your Closet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

We all know how hard it is to juggle busy schedules in college.  It seems like every time we accomplish one task, there are ten more waiting for us to tend to. Organizing our school, work and social lives can prove to be challenging, so when it comes to organizing our closet we tend to let our tidiness fall to the wayside.  However, managing your closet can be easy and hassle free. 

Step 1: Storage! Storage! Storage!
Storage is essential when organizing your clothes, shoes and other necessities you may need to store away.  While some storage components can be expensive, that doesn’t mean they are your only option.  Big name stores like Walmart and Target sell dozens of inexpensive devices that can drastically improve your organization skills.  Bins are great for scarves, handbags and other clothing options that can’t really be hung up.  I purchased a plastic rollaway dresser that fits neatly in the back of my closet.  Not only does it provide more storage, it also clears out space in my dresser for nicer clothes. 

Step 2: Categorize!
Divide and conquer!  I have divided my closet up into two sections.  On one half I hang up all of my clothes that are dressy.  My skirts are hung with my skirts, my dresses with my dresses, and my blouses with my blouses –you get the idea.

On the other side I like to hang up all of my sweatshirts and heavy winter jackets.  In the past, I have found that mixing my nicer clothes in with my bulky clothes causes a bit of riff in my closet.  My clothes are left wrinkly or staticy, and neither is OK.

Step 3: Understand your fabrics!
One of the easiest ways to wrinkle your clothes is to mistreat them.  Certain fabrics are more prone to wrinkle than others and if they are not handled correctly your outfit will suffer.  These fabrics include, silk, acetate and rayon.  Every piece of clothing has a tag on it with labels.  Look at your tags to see what type of fabric you’re dealing with.  If your shirt is cotton it is safe to fold up in your dresser, however if it is silk, you will need to hang it up.  Only hanging certain fabrics that are delicate also creates more space for you in your closet.  Rather than hanging every piece of clothing you have up, be picky about what pieces are better than others. 

Step 4: Treat your shoes like they are your children
I am bit of shoe snob so when it comes to handling my favorite pairs I do it with caution.  Purchasing shoe racks or hangers can be great tools when it comes to taking care of your shoes.  Let’s face it, buying shoes can be expensive and so treat them like an investment.  Safely tucking them into a rack cubby will keep them in tip-top shape.

[pagebreak]

Step 5: Shelving!
Shelving can be great but should be done in moderation.  Too many shelves can get in the way of clothing that needs to be hung.  That’s why it’s best to install shelving above your clothing rack, unless the shelf can be used elsewhere.  With shelving above your clothes you instantly get the entire top half of your closet for storage.  You can purchase bins for storage, and it is an inexpensive to create space in your closet.

Step 6: Get creative!
We all have seen the dotted board our dads use to hang their tools.  What’s great is that you can totally use it in your closet too.  It’s easy to install, and after you insert the hooks into the holes, you hang jewelry or sunglasses.  Your closet is your tool bench!

Step 7: Open the doors!
One thing that I have found is that traditional closet doors can be bulky and confining.  Some of my friends have removed their doors and replace them with curtains.  Curtains can be pushed out a little more, creating extra space on the floor.  A door will not shut if you have bins that stick out a little near the door crease.  As college students most of us don’t have huge walk-in closets to deal with, we need to use our small space wisely. 

Step 8: Let there be light!
Add quick and easy lights to your closet without dealing with wiring.  You can easily buy pocket lights at any store that stick to sides of your closet walls and turn on with a push.  They are cheap, hassle free and can make it easier when searching through bins.  

Ana is currently a Junior at Shippensburg University where she is pursuing a major in Communications/journalism with a minor in English. She is currently a Volvo Intern, the head editor of The Slate Opinion Section, and a Her Campus blog writer. Ana hopes to make it big in Fashion publishing. She has a love for chocolate, her black lab, Lena Dunham, magazines, photography and anything pink!
Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.