5 Reasons You Need to Visit Shippensburg, PA – Like Right Now.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

6 Reasons You Need to Visit Shippensbur, PA Like Right Now

Shippensburg is a small college town situated in south central Pennsylvania. Born and raised here, I can tell you that a small community will go to some rather creative measures to have a little fun. Upon arrival, you will find almost everything you never wanted to do – milk a cow, plow a field, or spread manure – but stand easy, folks, I am here to the rescue.

1. So, apparently we have a pretty bomb cave…

Rumor has it there is a spelunker’s paradise in the area. I personally cannot attest to this awesomeness, considering I avoid dirt and bugs (or nature in general) at all costs, but this is what I do know…

Carneige Cave in Southampton Township is unique because it must be accessed through a tunnel that travels under Interstate 81. When the interstate was being built, the cave was going to be blasted shut, but it turned out to be the home of many bats.

The York Grotto, a local chapter of the National Speleological Society (aka a group of people who really love caves), petitioned PennDOT to preserve it. The York Grotto won and the cave was saved.

Google.

Now you and the bats can have fun! Get back to me on that one.

2. Two words…THE ARTS!

I am so happy to live in a town that supports and believes in the power of the arts. The performing arts made a big leap in Shippensburg with the 2006 opening of the H. Ric Lurhs Performing Arts Center. This venue has welcomed an array of talent; from Cirque du Soleil to Kevin James, Shippensburg has seen it and so should you!

Google.

On a smaller scale, The Thought Lot is a contemporary arts center and music venue nestled in the corner of downtown Shippensburg. Once the site of Beistle’s warehouse, the renovated building was transformed into a hangout for music and art-lovers alike. The venue has welcomed talent from all over the nation and it now holds fitness classes such as Zumba, kickboxing and yoga. Namaste.

Facebook

Another place to check out is SHAPE, a quaint gallery that showcases artwork from local and regional artists. Every June, SHAPE hosts The Solstice Fest at Britton Park, where anyone from your grandmother to your totes-hipster boyfriend can go and enjoy the splendor that is art. There are craft vendors, live demonstrations, bands, face painting… you get it. Just go.

Google

3. We do it for the corn.

Every last Saturday in August the community gets stoked for The Corn Festival. Food and craft vendors from all over line the streets of downtown Shippensburg, while everyone and their brother comes out to celebrate the harvest of what this town knows best – CORN. Corn dogs, corn fritters, corn cobs – you name it, we have it.

*WARNING* Constipation may ensue.

Google

Regardless, it’s one of the cool things that kind of makes Shippensburg a little big deal.

Google

Speaking of little places…

Well, you see, Shippensburg has this place called Tiny World but it’s kind of a BIG DEAL. In the 80’s, a man by the name of Ernest built a cat-sized, Victorian-style house for his feline friends, but since then it’s grown into a small business.

Today, Tiny World has grown into a small community; a courthouse, a farm, a firehouse, a church and several houses. The miniature buildings are complete with figurines of people, animals, tractors, vehicles and greenery. Don’t forget to peep through the windows!

5. Netflix and chill routine getting old? We got you covered.

Hidden on the outskirts of town is The Cumberland Drive-In. Fifteen minutes from downtown Shippensburg, and for just $8 a person, you and bae can watch two full-length feature films on a HUGE screen OUTSIDE!

The drive-in was rated one of the 11 drive-ins in the US worth a road trip! It’s a great way to switch up your nightly routine and have a relaxing evening of entertainment.

Just don’t forget your bug spray during those warm summer nights! If you’re lucky, you may even spot a shooting star or two.

Google

Google

6. Shippensburg University…DUH!

Home of the Red Raiders and endless construction hazards – welcome to SU! Actually, I have no right complaining about the construction this semester, but if you had to walk over the river and through the woods to get to class like I did last year; you’d still be a little salty too.

Google.

On the plus side, Ship does have a stellar college of business and it is the only PA state school with an accredited Communication/Journalism program. HOLLA!

Void of all construction, it does happen to be a beautiful campus, especially in the fall.

Google

I’d also like to give a big shout out to Raider Bowl Wednesdays for helping me get through the week. You make me bloat, but I still love you.

For those of you unfamiliar with this marvelousness, it is Ship’s own version of the KFC Bowl. God Bless.

http://cumberlink.com/shippensburg/shippensburg-university-to-host-natio…

http://81fun.com/drivein_home/  

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11165

Hello everyone! My name is Ali Mowers and I am a junior at Shippensburg University. I am currently studying Communication/Journalism with a minor in French. My future career goal includes working in Travel & Tourism Public Relations so I can share my love of arts, culture and adventure with the rest of the world! Some of my favorite things include art museums, trying new food, my friends, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am so excited to learn more about my career path and myself this school year, and I think HerCampus is an excellent opportunity to do just that. The future is a nerve-racking and exciting thought, but I can’t wait for what is to come!
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole